I am excited to share this healthy and delicious curried soup with asparagus, lentils, potatoes, shrimp topped with crunchy Curry Flavored Kettle chips. Sometimes I have an idea in my head that comes out a success, sometimes it doesn’t. This time the flavors worked and on the rainy day in Portland it was a perfect fix for something hearty and comforting.
I started to eat curries a few years ago and to me it seemed so complicated back then to make your own. But there is a local company here in Oregon that makes an amazing array of curry pastes that I LOVE using, the name of the company is Thai and True. You only need a spoonful to transform the flavor of your curry from bland to fabulous.
I hope you give this easy and delicious soup a try and let me know what you think.
CURRIED ASPARAGUS & LENTIL SOUP with SHRIMP & CURRY POTATO CHIPS
- 1 tsp Thai and True Red Curry Paste
- 1 tbsp Vegetable paste by Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 10-15 stalks of asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, cut into smaller chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into smaller chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sea salt, or more to taste
- 12 with the shell on
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- handful of curry kettle potato chips
- 2 sprigs green onions, chopped finely for garnish at the end
- in a heavy cast iron Dutch oven (this is the one I use) set to medium-high heat sauté your onions in olive oil until translucent, stir often so they don't burn. Add the potatoes, stir and sauté for a few more minutes to add a bit of color to the potatoes and onions. Then add the dry lentils and sauté for a few more minutes, if you need to add in a bit more oil you can, add your salt now.
- Now you can add in your curry paste to the above ingredients. Mix well in the pot to combine the curry paste. Add the Vegetable paste and water to make the broth, bring to a simmer and then add the coconut milk, stir well and turn the heat down to medium. Taste for salt, if you need to add a tad bit do it now to your liking, don't add too much.
- This should cook for about 30-40 minutes until the lentils are softer.
- While that's cooking, cut your asparagus into 1 inch pieces and set aside. These will be added about 5 minutes before your soup is done. So if the lentils are almost soft, wait 5 more minutes and then add the asparagus.
- Once the Soup is done you can cook the shrimp that will go on top for garnish.
- Rinse your shrimp and then dry them off with a paper towel.
- Chop your herbs into fine pieces, crush the Kettle chips in a ziplock bag using a rolling pin.
- Heat your skillet to high heat, add the butter.
- Now add your shrimp and cook until pink on each side, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add the salt, parsley, crushed chips and toss with the shrimp. Turn off the heat.
- Add your soup into a shallow bowl, stack the shrimp and chips mixture on top, crush more chips on top and add the chopped green onions.
Now you are ready to enjoy this delicious and hearty soup.
Enjoy and Bon Appetité!