Who said rice cakes were boring? Not me! Especially as there are so many ways to dress them up! Rice cakes are a staple in our pantry. These sweet & savory rice cakes are the perfect after-school kid friendly snack. To me they’re far from boring and bland.Ever since my kids started school, they always ask for an after-school snack. My sweet & savory rice cakes make the perfect easy and flexible snack for any child or adult. Plus these are Gluten Free and healthy, win win!
Grab a few bags of Lundberg Gluten-Free Wild Rice Lightly Salted Organic Rice Cakes and keep them in your pantry for that last minute snack idea.When I was creating this idea for Sweet and Savory Rice Cakes, I wanted to keep it accessible to anyone. The best thing is, no cooking is involved and you put your kids to work! I mean hello, genius!
I partnered with Fred Meyer to create a fun after-school snack that any kid will love. Go stock up on my favorite staples like the Simple Truth hummus and Peanut Butter.Make the toppings what your kids love to eat. Some basics we keep in our house: deli meat tomatoes, cucumbers, arugula, berries, fruit and nuts of all kinds. These all make great topping ideas. I put mine is different plates and bowls, add them on a cookie sheet and let the kids go at it.
For savory, add Simple Truth original hummus, add fresh arugula, tomatoes, avocado and cucumbers with a touch of salt. If you want to add in some meat, my kids LOVE the Private Selection Wildflower Honey Ham, or you can use your favorite deli meat.
As the sweet treat I spread Simple Truth No Stir Creamy Peanut Butter, cut up mango, apples, kiwi, berries, coconut flakes and chia seeds.
You can also make a PBJ version and use the peanut butter and your favorite jam, my kids love the Simple Truth Organic Strawberry Fruit Spread from Fred Meyer. Make these fun for your kids. I would love to hear what your kids do as their toppings.
SWEET & SAVORY RICE CAKES
- Gluten-Free Wild Rice Lightly Salted Organic Rice Cakes
- Simple Truth original hummus
- baby tomatoes, cut in halves
- Persian or English cucumber, cut into thin slices
- handful of baby arugula
- Private Selection Wildflower Honey Ham, or your favorite ham
- Simple Truth No Stir Creamy Peanut Butter, or favorite nut butter
- apple, cut in half and sliced thinly
- kiwi, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- coconut flakes, optional to sprinkle on fruit
- chia seeds, optional to sprinkle on fruit
- honey, optional to drizzle on fruit
- Spread hummus on savory rice cakes, add desired toppings.
- Spread peanut butter or favorite nut butter, add fruits, nuts, honey, chia seeds and coconut flakes.
- Let your kids or your imagine run wild here. Make it fun and enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give these SWEET & SAVORY RICE CAKES a try? Let me know what you think. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!
Thank you for supporting the brands that I enjoy working with. This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fred Meyer. The opinions and text are all mine.