Layers of tater tots, eggs, sausage, and cheese make up this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe. Whip it up for a comforting family breakfast or a crowd-pleasing brunch. Ready in less than an hour and easy to make ahead of time!Jump to Recipe
The best homemade tater tot breakfast casserole
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe is guaranteed to be a new family favorite. Layered with baked eggs, gooey mozzarella cheese, sausage, bacon, peppers, and tater tots, every bite is so comforting and delicious!
Every element of this tater tot egg casserole is easy to love. Serve it as a delectable and special breakfast, bring it to parties, or assemble it ahead of time for a quick weekend brunch. Enjoy each scoop with a green salad and Crispy Potato Latkes on the side and a slice of this Strawberry Rhubarb Galette for dessert.
Tater tot casserole ingredients
- Tater tots – These tiny potato nuggets taste just like classic hashbrowns but without all of the work! Use storebought frozen tater tots to keep this recipe quick and easy.
- Bacon – Because is it even breakfast without the bacon?
- Sausage – Use frozen patties or your favorite breakfast or sausage links.
- Peppers – I used shishito peppers and jalapeno but bell peppers work just as well. To make it extra spicy, swap the jalapeno for a serrano.
- Mozzarella cheese – Any type of cheese will work here but I love the gooey stretch mozzarella offers.
- Eggs – Scrambled eggs are poured over the assembled casserole so the entire dish is sealed together and super fluffy, just like a quiche.
- Whole milk – To whisk in with the eggs and help them fluff up.
How to make a tater tot breakfast casserole
- Saute the bacon and onion in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and shishito peppers afterward and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Add a layer of cheese on top of the meat and pepper mixture. Next, cover the cheese with a layer of tater tots until the pan is filled. Pour the eggs and milk over top and finish with a sprinkle of green onions.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for about 25 minutes.
- Afterward, take it out of the oven and add the rest of the cheese on top as well as the jalapeno. Bake until the cheese is melted.
- Top the finished breakfast casserole with green onions and spoon some out onto individual plates to serve.
Tips and FAQs
- A sprinkle of green onions not only gives the casserole some color but adds a punch of flavor as well.
- You can add more to this brunch casserole if you wish, like sauteed mushrooms, green beans, beans, or chorizo.
- To make a vegetarian tater tot breakfast casserole, omit the sausage and bacon entirely or substitute them for plant-based alternatives.
- If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, you can make the casserole in a baking dish instead.
How do you keep tater tots crispy in a casserole?
If you appreciate an extra crispy tot, assemble the casserole with all of the elements except the tater tots. Place them on top and bake so they can crisp up and become golden brown on top of the casserole.
Why is my breakfast casserole runny?
If the eggs are underdone and runny, keep the casserole in the oven for an extra 5 to 10 minutes. This will give the scrambled eggs time to cook further and firm up.
If they’re still runny, it probably means the meats or vegetables are releasing too much liquid. This can always be solved by sauteeing them in a skillet on the stove beforehand.
What to serve with a tater tot casserole
You can serve this casserole with all of your brunch or breakfast favorites or on its own with a green salad, avocado, and a glass of OJ on the side. I like to bring it to Sunday brunch parties along with soft scrambled eggs, homemade bagels, and strawberry scones. You can even enjoy the casserole for dinner with cheddar biscuits and baked asparagus.
Can I make it ahead of time?
You can assemble the casserole without the eggs or tater tots the night before serving. Keep the casserole and egg mixture sealed in separate containers in the fridge and the tots in the freezer. The next morning, add a layer of frozen tots and pour the whisked eggs over the casserole. Pop it in the oven and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Storing and freezing
To store, place the cooked casserole in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
To freeze, keep the cooked casserole in a covered freezer-safe dish and freeze for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
To reheat, place the leftovers in a 300ºF oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
More fun breakfast recipes
- Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict
- Ukrainian Cheese Pancakes
- Lox and Bagel Brunch Board
- Egg Prosciutto Breakfast Tart
Did you try this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe? Don’t forget to tell me what you think in the comments below, or share a picture on Instagram! I love to share all of your recreations on my page.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups tater tots
- 6 slices bacon cut into 1” pieces
- 6 sausage patties cubed
- 1 ½ cups bell peppers I used shishito peppers, diced
- 1 small jalapeño thinly sliced, optional
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 large onion diced
- ¾ cup green onions chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- ½ tbsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Move the wire rack to the top of the oven.
- In an oven-safe heavy bottomed pan (I used my 3.5 qt Le Creuset-12" pan), add the bacon, onion and ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté for 7 mins on medium-high heat.
- Add chopped sausage, peppers, and another 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt into the pan. Cook for an additional 3 mins.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and 1 ½ teaspoon of salt. Then add the milk. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Add one cup of mozzarella cheese on top of the cooked bacon, sausage, onion and peppers.
- Layer tater tots in a circular design until the pan is filled.
- Add egg and milk mixture. Top with ½ cup of green onions.
- Bake uncovered on the top rack of your oven for 20-25 minutes, take out of the oven, add the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese, and top with jalapeños (optional). Bake for an additional 5 mins or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove, top with remaining ¼ cup of green onions. Spoon out onto plates, serve with a side salad and your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy it while it’s hot.
- Make Ahead: Assemble the casserole without the eggs or tater tots the night before serving. Keep the casserole and egg mixture sealed in separate containers in the fridge and the tots in the freezer. The next morning, add a layer of frozen tots and pour the whisked eggs over the casserole. Pop it in the oven and bake according to the recipe instructions.
- Storing: Place the cooked casserole in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Freezing: keep the cooked casserole in a covered freezer-safe dish and freeze for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- Reheating: place the leftovers in a 300ºF oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Bake this casserole in a baking dish if you don’t have a heavy bottomed oven-safe skillet.