My kids didn’t have school today, so my daughter and I spend the morning doing some baking together. I bought some pears the other day and have been wanting to bake something. There is something so soothing about spending time in the kitchen for me, especially when my daughter comes to help me out. So we put together this super simple cake. It’s a perfect fall time recipe to intrigue your sweet tooth.
We turned on the music in the kitchen like I always do and Franchesca and I started measuring out the ingredients we needed for this lovely fall flavored cake. We filled the vessels with all the lovely items from the pantry and the fridge. I always think when you are planning on baking that it’s best to take out the eggs and let them get to room temperature, along with your butter. Ok here’s what you will need to make this recipe.
CARAMELIZED PEAR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- 5 hard pears, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp softened butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup sifted flour
- 1 cup whole milk sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a medium sauce pan on medium high heat. Add brown sugar, salt and vanilla, mix together with a wooden spoon. Add the pears and mix well until combined with the sugar and vanilla. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until browned, soft and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- In a standing mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar until smooth and combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time until combined together with the butter mixture.
- Then the sour cream.
- Lastly add the dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time and wait until smooth.
- Add a piece of parchment paper to your cake pan, so the pears don't stick to the bottom, I left some hanging on the sides so it would be easier to take the cake out.
- Place the cooked pears on the bottom of the cake pan on the parchment paper and then pour the mixture on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, slice and enjoy with a cup of tea, coffee or milk.
- I also added a drizzle of some leftover yogurt and quince jam sauce, but that's optional. The recipe for that is here.
Enjoy and Bon Appetité!