This easy Sausage and Cabbage Skillet is a quick and flavorful meal that’s packed with nutrients. Hearty red cabbage, tender sausage, vitamin-rich kale, and fluffy quinoa come together in less than 30 minutes. Top each bowl with ingredients like avocado, hard-boiled eggs, and lemon for a true family favorite!Jump to Recipe
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy: Just because it has a fancy name, doesn’t mean it’s hard to make! You can have this sausage and cabbage skillet on the table in about 30 minutes. Plus, it’s an incredibly beginner-friendly recipe.
- Healthy: If low carbs and high-protein meals are your thing, you’ll love this dish. It’s also packed with vitamins and minerals that help keep you healthy and energized. Great for a low-glycemic diet too.
- Customizable: Adjust the spice, change the veggies, or switch up the toppings. You can really make this recipe your own!
Easy sausage and cabbage skillet
This one-pan meal comes in many different shapes and sizes, but its roots are in European cuisine. A sausage and cabbage skillet is known for its simplicity, comforting qualities, and customizability.
Savory sausage, cabbage, quinoa, and kale are prepared in the same skillet, creating a healthy meal that’s packed to the brim with flavor. The real key is cooking the sausage until golden brown on the outside for crispy, caramelized notes.
Once ready, you can’t forget to serve your bowls with lots of toppings! Some of my favorites include avocado slices, everything but the bagel seasoning, hard-boiled eggs, and a squeeze of lemon.
Serve this versatile dish for a hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinner. With so many ways to customize the add-ins and garnishes, you can create a new spin on this recipe almost every time you cook it!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Olive oil: To sauté the cabbage and sausage. I typically reach for olive oil for this purpose, but you can use avocado oil or even a touch of unsalted butter.
- Cabbage: Red cabbage adds a pop of color, a sweet flavor, and a tender texture. If you don’t have red cabbage available, green cabbage also works.
- Sausage: Use your favorite type! Hot Italian sausage, kielbasa sausage, bratwurst, or Spanish chorizo all make delicious options.
- Kale: Provides a hearty and tender texture. I find kale works the best for a sausage and cabbage skillet, but you can try spinach, chard, or collard greens.
- Quinoa: To bulk the dish up! I love quinoa since it’s a complete protein source, but steamed white or brown rice are also good choices.
- Toppings: For added flavors and textures, I love to top my bowls with hard-boiled eggs, avocado, garlic spread or mayonnaise, everything but the bagel seasoning, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and flaky sea salt. Your recipe won’t be the same without this lineup!
How to make a sausage and cabbage skillet
- Sauté the cabbage and sausage: Cook the sausage and cabbage with some olive oil over medium-high heat until the sausage is browned and the cabbage is tender.
- Add the other ingredients: Add the kale and salt, then cook for another few minutes to wilt the kale. Add the quinoa last and stir the mixture to combine everything.
- Assemble the bowls: Evenly divide the mixture between serving bowls, and top them with sliced avocado, hard-boiled eggs, garlic spread or mayonnaise, everything but the bagel seasoning, a squeeze of lemon juice, and flaky sea salt.
For a full spread, serve your sausage and cabbage skillet with a side of salad or roasted vegetables. Here are some of my favorites:
- Tomato and Onion Salad
- Radicchio Caesar Salad
- Herb Pesto Green Bean Salad
- Potato Salad With Pickles
- Salt Roasted Potatoes With Garlic Aioli
- Smashed Potatoes With Roasted Garlic
Frequently asked questions
No, the quinoa isn’t necessary for this recipe. You can either leave it out or replace it with a grain like rice or couscous.
Yes, you can use leafy greens like spinach or swiss chard instead of kale in this recipe.
To make this sausage and cabbage skillet spicier, add diced chilies, pepper flakes, or your favorite hot sauce.
Storage & reheating
For any leftover sausage and cabbage skillet, just follow these simple storage and reheating tips:
- Fridge: Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Freezer: You can freeze the sausage for up to 3 months. Just let it cool completely before placing it in a freezer-safe container.
- Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave or warm it in a skillet over medium-low heat. Warm it, while stirring occasionally, until it’s heated all the way through.
- Low-carb: Swap the quinoa with cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
- Vegetarian: Use vegan sausages, or replace the sausage with tofu or tempeh.
- Spicy: For extra heat, add your favorite green chilies or red pepper flakes.
- Protein: Swap out the pork sausage for chicken or turkey sausage.
- Bite-size pieces: Cut the cabbage and kale into small, bite-size pieces to make eating easier.
- Use a large pan: For the most even cook of the sausage and vegetables, use a large skillet with high walls.
- Prep in advance: Steam the quinoa and hard-boil the eggs ahead of time for a quick and easy cooking experience at dinner time.
- Don’t skip the toppings: The toppings are what make all the difference in this sausage and cabbage skillet! They add so many flavors, colors, and textures.
Looking for more skillet recipes?
If you enjoyed this easy sausage and cabbage skillet recipe, be sure to check out some more popular skillet dishes like these:
- Beef Yakisoba Noodles
- Pork Carnitas Skillet Nachos
- Pork Lettuce Wraps
- Creamy Garlic Tuscan Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
If you try this Sausage and Cabbage Skillet, let me know what you think! Rate and review this recipe in the comments below. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog!
Easy Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
Sausage and Cabbage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red cabbage cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 sausages cut in half rounds
- 4 leaves kale cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup quinoa cooked
- 2 eggs hard boiled
- 2 tablespoons garlic spread or use mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon everything but the bagel seasoning divided
- 1 avocado sliced
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt divided
- ½ small lemon divided
- Bring a pan to medium-high heat. Add olive oil, cabbage and sausage and saute for 7 minutes, stirring often. Add kale, season with salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Lastly add quinoa and sir for an additional minute.
- Divide into two bowls. Top each with ½ sliced avocado, cut the hard boiled eggs in half, top with garlic spread or mayonnaise, sprinkle with everything but the bagel seasoning. Drizzle the avocado and the whole bowl with lemon juice, season with flaky sea salt on the avocado and enjoy.
Leave a Reply