I don’t know about you guys, but we do taco Tuesdays at our house often, because we just love them. But, sometimes on a cold winter evening I change it up and make my super easy tortilla soup instead. Soup is one of my favorite winter meals. With this soup you get the same great Mexican flavors as if you would if having tacos, but in a soup form. It’s the perfect soup to warm up around the table with my family. It takes me about 30 minutes, if that, to make this.
I cut my dinner making time in half, because I get the store bought organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup to make this as my soup base. Easy as opening a box and pouring it into a pot to heat it up. I marinate my chicken breast in fresh lime juice, cilantro and salt. Yes that’s it, simple huh? Cut up some great toppings and your soup is done.
Ever since I bought my Instant Pot, I cut the cooking time for meat so much… it’s awesome. My new favorite kitchen gadget to use for sure. I mean if you don’t have time for cooking the chicken, you can always pick up a rotisserie chicken, shred it and that will cut even more time for you.
This TORTILLA SOUP. It’s everything. It’s easy, yummy, flavorful, versatile, quick, gluten free, healthy, easy (did I already mention that?), and YUMMY (now I’m just being repetitive).This soup is ALL about the toppings. ALL about the toppings. You cannot, I repeat – CANNOT, just have the base soup and eat it all by itself. It is illegal in Chicken Tortilla Soup world…do you hear me?! Illegal!!! Plus that’s just plain boring too.
Think of it like a baked potato. This is the baked potato of soups. Would you ever eat a completely and totally plain baked potato?? No cheese? butter? Sour cream? NO! And if you would…well, I’m not sure we can be friends anymore.
Anyway, this soup is the same way. It has a simple and delicious base that calls for delicious toppings! Let’s get started.
HEALTHY, EASY, CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 large lime or 1 small lime, juiced
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime
- salt, to taste
- 1 32 oz box roasted red pepper & tomato soup
- 1 cup roasted corn (from Trader Joe's frozen section)
- 1/2 cup baby tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup corn & chile salsa from Trader Joe's, or your favorite corn salsa
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- lime, for garnish
- corn chips, for garnish
- avocado, for garnish
- salt, to taste
Lime Cilantro Chicken
- Marinate the chicken breast in the lime, cilantro and salt for about 10 minutes before cooking it. I used my Instant Pot to cook the chicken. So easy. Bring it to pressure and hit the Poultry button, which should set for 15 minutes on high pressure. If you don't have a Instant Pot, it's ok you can also grill the breast on both sides for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat, or until fully cooked. If you go the grilled method, butterfly the chicken before marinating it to cut the cooking time. Either way works. Cut up the chicken into chunks.
Lime Sour Cream
- Combine sour cream, lime juice and salt. Mix well.
- Empty out the soup into a pot. Heat it up, I used this beautiful Mauviel Pot to heat mine up. You might want to add some salt, taste the soup and see if the saltiness if to your liking.
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Chop cilantro. Cut the limes in wedges. Rinse black beans.
- To serve, in a bowl, start layering with the black beans, roasted corn, chicken, corn chips, tomatoes, avocado and corn salsa.
- Add the soup to the edges, not on top, until you add enough in four bowls. Top with lime sour crema, squeeze of lime and cilantro. Ready to serve and enjoy.
Ok now go make some of this soup for your friends or family and enjoy it.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?14