This Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup is picky-eater approved! Made with a comforting mix of ground beef, Italian herbs, cream, and lasagna noodles, every bite has all of the flavors of lasagna but is ready to eat in half the time. Stovetop, Instant Pot, and slow cooker instructions included.Jump to Recipe
This blog post was updated on October 26, 2022 but the recipe remains the same.
30-minute lasagna soup recipe
Introducing a comfort food lover’s dream meal and the dish my family can’t stop talking about: Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup! This one-pot recipe will warm you up on a cold day and always leave you feeling full and satisfied. It’s just as warm, meaty, and flavorful as a traditional lasagna but so much easier to make!
Just like my Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup, this fun and easy lasagna soup recipe is a new take on a classic family-friendly meal. It’s just a bonus that it takes less time to make with way less cleanup! You’ll find everything you love from classic lasagna in this one-pot soup: beef, cream, cheese, tomatoes, and Italian flavors. Load each bowl with all kinds of toppings and you have a truly crave-worthy meal.
- Ground beef – Or use ground turkey or chicken to lighten it up. For a vegetarian or vegan alternative, omit the beef or substitute it for plant-based ground beef.
- Italian seasonings – Red pepper flakes and oregano fill this soup with classic and comforting Italian flavors. You can add thyme, basil, and rosemary to enhance the flavors.
- Chicken broth – Or use vegetable stock to make vegetarian-friendly lasagna soup.
- Tomato sauce – I like using tomato and basil flavored pasta sauce but any variety will do.
- Lasagna noodles – Break them up into small 1 or 2-inch pieces for easy eating. For gluten free, use gluten free lasagna noodles or pasta.
- Heavy cream – It’s what makes the lasagna soup creamy and silky smooth! Whole milk, dairy free milk, or coconut milk can be used instead.
How to make creamy lasagna soup on the stove
- Saute the vegetables and beef: Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven and add the onion. Cook until it’s soft, then add the beef and saute. Once the beef is browned all over, stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, oregano and tomato paste.
- Add the tomato and flavor: Stir the tomato sauce, diced canned tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring it to a boil, then add the broken lasagna noodles to the pot. Add salt to taste.
- Let it simmer: Reduce the heat and let it simmer until the noodles are tender.
- Stir in the cream: Stir in the heavy cream. You can add extra chicken broth at this point to help thin it out. Pro tip: Stir shredded mozzarella or parmesan right into the soup to make it extra creamy and cheesy!
- Add your toppings and serve: Spoon the lasagna soup into bowls and add ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese along with fresh basil on top. Serve and enjoy!
Slow cooker instructions
- Brown the meat in an oiled skillet on the stovetop until browned through. Add the onion, then the garlic, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, salt and oregano.
- Transfer the beef, onion, and garlic mixture into the bowl of a slow cooker. Stir the tomato sauce, diced canned tomatoes, and chicken broth. Add salt to taste. Cover with a lid and cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 8 hours.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in a pot on the stove until tender.
- Stir the cooked noodles and heavy cream into the soup during the last 30 minutes. Serve the soup with the toppings you love and enjoy!
Instant Pot instructions
- Brown the meat in the Instant Pot on Saute mode until browned through. Add the onion, then the garlic, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, salt and oregano.
- Cancel Saute mode and stir in the tomato sauce, diced canned tomatoes, and chicken broth. Add salt to taste. And the broken lasagna noodles. Seal the lid closed and cook for 15 minutes using Soup mode.
- Quick release the pressure once the time is up. Stir in the cooked noodles and heavy cream, serve with the toppings you love, and enjoy!
Pro tip: Make sure the noodles are broken into small pieces and submerged under the liquid to ensure they cook through.
Lasagna soup toppings
This lasagna soup recipe only gets better with plenty of toppings on each bowl. These topping ideas should give you plenty of inspiration:
- Cheeses: The more cheese, the better! Top each bowl of soup with parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, romano cheese, or shredded mozzarella.
- Fresh herbs: Like fresh basil or parsley.
- Crusty bread: For a little crunch, you can add homemade croutons, toasted breadcrumbs, or torn pieces of crusty bread or focaccia on the soup.
Lasagna soup is hearty and filling on its own and can be paired with thick slices of garlic bread and my Kale Caesar Salad or Radicchio Caesar Salad. Talk about a comfort food lover’s dream!
Frequently asked questions
Dried lasagna noodles are best. Oven ready lasagna noodles will be way too soft when boiled in the soup. If you don’t have lasagna noodles, use any long or short pasta noodles you love!
Leftover lasagna soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The noodles will soak up the liquid the longer they sit, so try to eat the leftover soup within 2 to 3 days. If you plan on enjoying the leftovers later on, cook the batch without the noodles.
You can, but only when the noodles and cream are left out of the batch. Store the lasagna soup in an airtight container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When it’s time to eat, cook the noodles separately and stir them and the heavy cream into the reheated soup.
Looking for more comforting soup recipes?
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup with Kale
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ukrainian Red Borscht
Did you try this Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and giving this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to take a picture tag me on Instagram or use #lenaskitchenblog to be featured in my stories! I love seeing what you come up with!
Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef 80/20
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 25 ounces tomato basil pasta sauce
- 28 ounces diced canned tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth more if you want a thinner soup
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt divided or more to taste
- 12 lasagna noodles uncooked and broken into 2" pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream optional
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 6 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven and add the onion. Cook until it’s soft, then add the beef and saute. Once the beef is browned all over, stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, oregano and tomato paste.
- Stir the tomato sauce, diced canned tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring it to a boil, then add the broken lasagna noodles to the pot. Add salt to taste. Reduce the heat and let it simmer until the noodles are tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream. You can add extra chicken broth at this point to help thin it out. Pro tip: Stir shredded mozzarella or parmesan right into the soup to make it extra creamy and cheesy!
- Spoon the lasagna soup into bowls and add ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese along with fresh basil on top. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply