This Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup is picky-eater approved! Made with a comforting mix of ground beef, Italian herbs, cream, and lasagna noodles, every bite has all of the flavors of lasagna but is ready to eat in half the time. Stovetop, Instant Pot, and slow cooker instructions included.Jump to Recipe
This blog post was updated in April 2022 but the recipe remains the same.
30-minute lasagna soup recipe
Introducing a comfort food lover’s dream meal and the dish my family can’t stop talking about: Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup! This one-pot recipe will warm you up on a cold day and always leave you feeling full and satisfied. It’s just as warm, meaty, and flavorful as a traditional lasagna but so much easier to make!
Just like my Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup, this fun and easy lasagna soup recipe is a new take on a classic family-friendly meal. It’s just a bonus that it takes less time to make with way less cleanup! You’ll find everything you love from classic lasagna in this one-pot soup: beef, cream, cheese, tomatoes, and Italian flavors. Load each bowl with all kinds of toppings and you have a truly crave-worthy meal.
- Ground beef – Or use ground turkey or chicken to lighten it up. For a vegetarian or vegan alternative, omit the beef or substitute it for plant-based ground beef.
- Italian seasonings – Red pepper flakes, oregano, and a bay leaf fill this soup with classic and comforting Italian flavors. You can add thyme, basil, and rosemary to enhance the flavors.
- Chicken broth – Or use vegetable stock to make vegetarian-friendly lasagna soup.
- Tomato sauce – I like using tomato and basil flavored pasta sauce but any variety will do.
- Lasagna noodles – Break them up into small 1 or 2-inch pieces for easy eating. For gluten free, use gluten free lasagna noodles or pasta.
- Heavy cream – It’s what makes the lasagna soup creamy and silky smooth! Whole milk, dairy free milk, or coconut milk can be used instead.
How to make creamy lasagna soup on the stove
- Saute the vegetables and beef: Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven and add the onion. Cook until it’s soft, then add the beef and saute. Once the beef is browned all over, stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Add the tomato and flavor: Stir the tomato sauce, chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, bay leaf, and noodles into the pot.
- Let it simmer: Bring the mixture up to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the noodles are tender.
- Stir in the cream: Discard the bay leaf and stir in the heavy cream. You can add extra chicken broth at this point to help thin it out. Pro tip: Stir shredded mozzarella or parmesan right into the soup to make it extra creamy and cheesy!
- Add your toppings and serve: Spoon the lasagna soup into bowls and add cheese and any other toppings you love on top. Serve and enjoy!
Slow cooker instructions
- Brown the meat in an oiled skillet on the stovetop until browned through. Add the onion, then the garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Transfer the beef, onion, and garlic mixture into the bowl of a slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and bay leaf. Cover with a lid and cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 8 hours.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in a pot on the stove until tender.
- Discard the bay leaf and stir the cooked noodles and heavy cream into the soup during the last 30 minutes. Serve the soup with the toppings you love and enjoy!
Instant Pot instructions
- Brown the meat in the Instant Pot on Saute mode until browned through. Add the onion, then the garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Cancel Saute mode and stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, bay leaf, and broken lasagna noodles. Seal the lid closed and cook for 15 minutes using Soup mode.
- Quick release the pressure once the time is up. Stir in the cooked noodles and heavy cream, serve with the toppings you love, and enjoy!
Pro tip: Make sure the noodles are broken into small pieces and submerged under the liquid to ensure they cook through.
Lasagna soup toppings
This lasagna soup recipe only gets better with plenty of toppings on each bowl. These topping ideas should give you plenty of inspiration:
- Cheeses: The more cheese, the better! Top each bowl of soup with parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, romano cheese, or shredded mozzarella.
- Fresh herbs: Like fresh basil or parsley.
- Crusty bread: For a little crunch, you can add homemade croutons, toasted breadcrumbs, or torn pieces of crusty bread or focaccia on the soup.
Frequently asked questions
Dried lasagna noodles are best. Oven ready lasagna noodles will be way too soft when boiled in the soup. If you don’t have lasagna noodles, use any long or short pasta noodles you love!
Leftover lasagna soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The noodles will soak up the liquid the longer they sit, so try to eat the leftover soup within 2 to 3 days. If you plan on enjoying the leftovers later on, cook the batch without the noodles.
You can, but only when the noodles and cream are left out of the batch. Store the lasagna soup in an airtight container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When it’s time to eat, cook the noodles separately and stir them and the heavy cream into the reheated soup.
Looking for more comforting soup recipes?
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup with Kale
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ukrainian Red Borscht
Did you try this Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and giving this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to take a picture tag me on Instagram or use #lenaskitchenblog to be featured in my stories! I love seeing what you come up with!
Easy Creamy Lasagna Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth more if you want a thinner soup
- 24 oz Tomato + Basil Pasta Sauce
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- 12 lasagna noodles uncooked and broken into 1-2" pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream optional
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 6 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 2 tsbp parsley finely chopped
- Heat large Dutch oven/large soup pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil and onion, cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent. Add in the beef and cook until browned. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and spices and sauté for 30 seconds. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, whole can of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, bay leaf and broken up lasagna noodles. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Discard bay leaf and stir in heavy cream (optional). Add in any extra chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheeses and fresh herbs.