This Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup with Kale is a hearty and comforting meal that’s ready in just 30 minutes. Loaded with sausage, cheesy tortellini, Italian herbs, kale, and cream, every bite is so filling and luscious!Jump to Recipe
30-minute creamy sausage tortellini soup
Looking for a meal to not only fill you up but also warm you from head to toe? My Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi and Salmon and Corn Chowder are great contenders, but this quick, easy, and Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup with Kale is the real winner!
Every spoonful is packed with creamy, cheesy, and hearty ingredients and the best Italian flavors. You’ll find all the good stuff in one bite, like:
- Smoked sausage
- Fresh kale
- Italian seasonings
- Heavy cream
- Cheesy tortellini
It comes together in only one pot so you don’t have to stress about clean up. After simmering for less than 30 minutes, you’ll end up with a cheesy and ultra-creamy soup that is just SO comforting!
Tortellini soup ingredients
- Tortellini – This is a ring-shaped pasta that’s usually stuffed with meat and cheese or just cheese. Use fresh (not dried) cheese tortellini to make the soup extra creamy.
- Sausage – Use any smoked sausage you love or Italian sausage for a hint of spice.
- Kale – This is added at the end to give the soup lots of nutrients and a pop of green. Fresh spinach would be the best replacement.
- Garlic and onion – Two veggies that are necessary for any homemade soup recipe.
- Herbs – Oregano and a bay leaf impart beautiful Italian flavors into the soup.
- Chicken stock – Or use beef or veggie stock if that’s all you have at home.
- Heavy cream – This is where the soup gets its creaminess.
How to make creamy sausage tortellini soup with kale
- Saute the veggies and sausage: Add the olive oil and onions to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage after a few minutes and saute until browned.
- Add the herbs and seasonings: Add the garlic, oregano, and tomato paste to the pot. Make sure to scrape up any stuck brown bits on the bottom.
- Let it simmer: Pour the chicken broth into the pot, then add the bay leaf and canned tomatoes. Bring the soup up to a boil before letting it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale, pasta, and cream: Remove the bay leaf when the soup is done simmering. Turn down the heat and stir in the kale, tortellini, and heavy cream.
- Serve and enjoy: Cook until the kale is wilted and the pasta is tender. Ladle into bowls, add fresh parmesan on top, and enjoy!
Tips and substitutions
- If you don’t have sausage at home, you can replace it with any lean ground meat you love.
- The cheese-stuffed tortellini really makes this soup special but the recipe will work with any kind of pasta noodle.
- To make a vegetarian tortellini soup, swap the sausage for a plant-based alternative and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Parmesan cheese is naturally salty. If you really like a good amount of parmesan on your soup, make sure to use a little less salt in the soup than what’s in the recipe.
- Top each bowl with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a touch of heat!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What to serve with tortellini soup
Freshly shaved parmesan on top and crusty bread or crackers on the side are a must for this hearty Italian soup. Use the bread to soak up every last drop! To make it a meal, serve each bowl next to a Caesar salad or pesto green beans.
Looking for more creamy soup recipes?
- Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Did you try this Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup with Kale? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and giving this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to take a picture tag me on Instagram or use #lenaskitchenblog to be featured in my stories! I love seeing what you come up with!
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup with Kale
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz smoked sausage cut in half rounds
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 14 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped into thin strips or use spinach
- 10 oz cheese tortellini fresh not dried
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shaved for garnish
- Heat a large dutch oven pot or soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the same pot, add the cut sausage and sauté until browned, 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, oregano, and tomato paste, cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- While soup cooks, prep the kale by removing the stems and chopping them into thin strips.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add the kale, tortellini, and heavy cream to the pot. Turn down the heat to medium-low, and let it simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes until the kale is wilted and the pasta is cooked through.
- Remove the soup from heat. Ladle into bowls, top with parmesan cheese, and serve with crusty bread.