This Crunchy Kale Salad topped with apples, pomegranates, sweet and smokey pepitas and a yummy shallot vinaigrette has the perfect fall flavors in one bite.
Are you team curly kale or flat kale (also known as lacinato or dino kale). I am hands down flat kale, it’s like curly parsley or flat… always team flat, like my hair ahhah.
I love using the lacinato kale and shredding it up because it’s more robust than green curly kale and, like… less kale-ish. Does that make sense? Do you get me? The moral of that story is that I really love this kind of kale only, that’s IMPORTANT.
Can we talk about these pink apples, I went to the farmers market last week hoping to find them and lucky be the lady, I got some. I can’t remember the correct name for them, something pink lady… If you know, tell me in comments. They have a short season here in Oregon, so I jumped on the opportunity to create something pretty with these. This crunchy kale salad seemed like the perfect way to share it. Hoping to also get a pretty in pink galette in on the blog this weekend for you.
What in the kale are you waiting for? ahahah ok ok, I’ll stop with the puns… or not. If you’re like, I don’t like kale… trust me, you will LOVE this kale salad. Make it and tell me what you think in comments for sure. Because I’m all about the feedback.
For real, this kale salad is so good. What helps a lot with this salad is letting the dressing rest on the kale for 15 minutes before serving it to help soften the kale.
Make your dressing ahead of time, because the flavors that hang out together last longer together… see what I did there? I’m such a dork. Flavor BFF’s are the best.
FLAVOR PROFILES FOR THIS SALAD :
- sweet from the apples and dressing
- savory from the kale and pepitas
- crunchy from the apples
- smokey from the pepitas
- a little sour from the pomegranates
I love the combination of the flavors together for the dressing and this salad. Grab the recipe for the EASY SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE here.
Kale keeps its shape for a couple of days, even when dressed. This salad is great to make ahead for weekday lunches. Just add in the toppings separately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @lenaskitchenblog so I can see your masterpiece!
CRUNCHY KALE SALAD
- 1 head kale, destemed
- 1/2-1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 4-5 tbsp shallot vinaigrette (see recipe in post)
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or your favorite nuts
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or regular
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Heat pan on medium low heat, add in the pepitas, toast for a few minutes. After about 2 minutes add the seasonings, mix with a wooden spoon and toast for another 3-4 minutes. Make sure to move around often so they don't burn. Move to a plate or parchment paper and let cool.
- Remove the stems from the kale, rinse and pat dry or spin in a salad spinner. Slice into 1/4 inch pieces. Add Shallot Vinaigrette. Massage with hands to soften the kale and let the dressing sit for at least 10-15 minutes. Remove from mixing bowl and add to a plate or bowl.
- Cut your apple in half, remove the core, slice into thin slices. I used half an apple, but you can add the whole thing if you would like. Arrange on the plate of kale in clusters.
- Clean a pomegranate to get 1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle all over the salad.
- Add toasted pepitas on the salad right before serving. Enjoy.
SHARE THIS IMAGE BELOW ON PINTEREST