Comfort food at its finest, serve your family individual Quick and Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry for total satisfaction. Filling the whole house with warmth, it’s an effortless and time-saving choice for dinner.
An uncomplicated and delicious meal, these Quick and Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry are perfect for the whole family. Using fresh or frozen vegetables, juicy roasted chicken, and pre-made puff pastry, you’ll have dinner on the table in no time.
Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pies Are Comfort Food At Its Finest
When you need a meal to satisfy the pickiest of eaters or you’re just in the mood for a bowl of comfort, turn to this recipe. Using simple, uncomplicated ingredients, each bite will warm your entire body. Still packed with a healthy and nutritious filling in your own individual ramekin or bowl, there’s no feeling guilty as you indulge.
A Flexible And Time-Saving Dinner Recipe
This recipe is fantastic whether prepared as a gourmet meal or thrown together as a quick dinner. Whichever you have the time (or patience) for, they’ll still be tasty.
If you’re running low on time, grab a variety of frozen vegetables and a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. They’ve done the work for you, so why waste more time? Once the chicken is shredded and veggies are out of the bag, throw in your saucepan and enjoy!
If you feel like going all out, try using my recipe for Everyday Baked Chicken Breast. Cooked on the bone with just olive oil and onion salt, it’s the perfect addition to this warm meal. You’ll enjoy endless bites of flavorful and juicy chicken.
How to Make Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pies
For efficiency, we create this recipe in two parts: the filling, and the pastry. To make the filling:
- Cook Half The Vegetables: In a large saucepan, saute the chopped onion in butter. Add the carrot and celery, and allow them to cook and soften for a few minutes.
- Thicken The Sauce: To thicken the mixture, add the seasonings and flour. You’ll know it’s done when it resembles a paste-like texture. Once ready, slowly add the milk, then chicken stock.
- Complete The Filling: To finish it off, add in the rest of your vegetables and chicken, and stir well to combine the entire mixture.
You’ll have time while the filling is cooking to prepare your puff pastry:
- Slice Into Squares: Once thawed, slice one piece of puff pastry into squares using a knife or cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush each side with the egg wash.
- Bake: Bake the pastry pieces in an oven heated to 400ºF and according to the package instructions.
I’m saving you time by simply scooping the filling right into your bowl, and popping the dough squares right in. Simple, easy, done.
Meal Prepping and Storing
A bowl of these Quick and Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry are best enjoyed hot and fresh, but they’re also great when meal prepping. Once the filling is ready, allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, add it to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Keep the baked puff pastry pieces separate until you’re ready to eat. This will prevent them from turning to mush in the filling. Both the filling and pastry should last in the fridge for up to a week.
More Comfort Food Recipes
If you’re in the mood for more hardy and comforting meals, feel free to try out any of these other delicious recipes:
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup (Keto)
- Easy Lasagna Soup
- Greek Crispy Chicken Thighs With Potatoes
- Instant Pot Beef Ragu
- Creamy Cheesy Polenta
Leave me a comment below and let me know if you try these Quick and Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry. I love reading all of your comments!
Please be sure to tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog with your recreations as well! Sharing them to my page is my favorite thing.
Quick and Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken 3 chicken breasts, rotisserie or my Everyday Baked Chicken Breasts, shredded
- 2 cups carrots 1/4 inch, chopped
- 1 cup onion 1/4 inch, chopped
- 1 cup celery 1/4 inch, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 2 cups peas frozen
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dried thyme or a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt more to taste if needed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk or whatever dairy you have on hand
- 1 sheet puff pastry slightly thawed, cut into squares or use cookie cutter to make shapes
- 1 egg yolk for pastry wash
- Shred cooked chicken breast or use rotisserie chicken meat and set aside. Omit the skin.
- In a large saucepan, add the onion and 1/4 stick of butter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add celery and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the butter, cooking until the veggies are tender and onions are translucent.
- Add the flour, salt, and thyme to the butter and vegetable mixture, creating a thick paste. Sauté for 2 minutes to cook out the flour taste.
- Slowly, add in the milk and stir to incorporate. Once the milk is fully incorporated, slowly add the chicken stock. Simmer, whisking continuously until mixture has slightly thickened.
- Add the chicken, broccoli, and peas.
- Stir well to completely combine the filling and turn off the heat.
- Bring your puff pastry to room temperature, cutting it into 2 to 3 inch squares. Alternatively, use a cookie cutter to cut shapes out. Place the cut puff pastry pieces on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the egg in a bowl to create an egg wash, and brush the wash on both sides of each puff pastry piece.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bake using package instructions.
- Add a spoonful of hot filling into bowls when you're ready to serve. Top with puff pastry pieces.
Leave a Reply