Easy Creamy Cheesy Polenta makes the perfect savory side dish to any meat or veggies. Serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I served mine with my Instant Pot Beef Ragu.
This creamy cheesy polenta is served with the delicious Instant Pot Beef Ragu. The recipe is so easy and perfect for this chilly fall weather coming our way.
There are a few types of corn meal to consider. The cheesy polenta cooks up on the stove in under 30 minutes if you use the more coarse ground version.
HERE ARE A FEW DIFFERENT TYPES OF CORNMEAL:
- Fine Grind Cornmeal (ideal for making cornbread, corn muffins and cornmeal pancakes with a finer texture.)
- Medium Grind Cornmeal (makes the best cornbread possible, providing a great texture without an overabundance of crumbs)
- Coarse Grind Cornmeal (gives an intense corn flavor with a slightly more granular texture)
When using fine cornmeal, your polenta will be more creamy and have less of a bite, plus it will cook slightly faster. Bob’s Red Mill Medium Grind Cornmeal is what I used for this recipe, I like the bite it gives with the medium ground cornmeal. If you’re not into the texture thing and want creamy, go for the fine ground cornmeal. Both are great options. I don’t usually prefer the Coarse, but you can experiment with it.
Cook the polenta ahead of time if you’re using it as a side dish. Always make extra because this makes a beautiful breakfast bowl the next day.
TOPPING IDEAS FOR THIS CREAMY CHEESY POLENTA :
- Fried or poached eggs
- Fresh greens like spinach or arugula
- Roasted or pan fried veggies
- Crispy bacon
- Cooked sausages
- Chimichurri sauce
- 5 Minute Arugula Basil Pesto
- Ribeye steak
- Instant Pot Beef Ragu
- Fresh herbs and cheese
I love parmesan in my polenta because salt. Gouda or smoked gouda would be terrific here, as well as goat’s cheese or a smoked mozzarella. Choose what you have on hand too. Be a rule breaker, I won’t judge. But I want to hear what cheese you ended up using for yours. Leave a comment and let me know.
CREAMY CHEESY POLENTA
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, or cheese of choice
- 3 tbsp butter, more if desired
- fresh herbs like chives, parsley, cilantro or dill for garnish
- Bring stock and slt to a boil in a saucepan. Turn down the heat. Slowly add the cornmeal while whisking so it doesn't clump up. Continue to whisk gently. Cook for about 10-30 minutes, depends on your cornmeal. The finer the quicker it cooks, the coarser the longer it cooks. Continue to mix around so nothing sticks to the bottom. Caution, it will sputter!
- When the polenta is thick, stir in 1/2 cup milk, and then, turn off the heat, add the cheese and butter. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the polenta into individual serving bowls, and top with your favorite toppings. Sprinkle on finely minced fresh herbs as a garnish. Enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give my CREAMY CHEESY POLENTA a try? Let me know what you think and what did you serve it with? Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture, tag it with @lenaskitchenblog and #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram or tag me on my Facebook page! I love seeing what you come up with! happy cooking.