Have you ever tried plantains? Well I have a delicious recipe for tostones, guacamole, skirt steak and chimichuri sauce. Great idea for a Whole30 approved recipe. Make extra because they will go fast.
This is the perfect recipe to share with friends, enjoy for lunch or dinner. Makes a great appetizer to bring to your next party.
Check out the videos of how to make these on my Facebook Page here.
TOSTONES, GUACAMOLE, SKIRT STEAK AND CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- 2 plantains, not too ripe
- ¾-1 cup coconut oil, divided
- sea salt, to taste
- 3-4 small avocados, ripe
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- ½ red chili, chopped finely, optional
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 lb skirt steak
- ¾ cup coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- 1 large lime, squeezed
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for brushing meat
- Begin with plantains. Cut ends off plantains, score sides of peel from top to bottom. Get your thumb underneath the peel & slide it down to remove peel.
- Cut into 1 in chunks. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat & add 1/4 cup coconut oil to start. Once oil begins to sizzle, add plantain chunks to the skillet.
- Fry plantain pieces in oil, turning to evenly coat, over med heat (adjusting to avoid browning) until yellow & just beginning to turn light brown - about 5-7 mins. Remove from pan, put on paper towel to drain. Turn heat off.
- Smash on a cutting board once slightly cooled with the bottom of a plate, slowly.
- Heat oil again adding a bit more if you need, over med heat until it sizzles.
- Fry smashed plantains until first side is golden brown, flip, repeat - 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel, season with sea salt.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Cut avocado in half & scoop out in a bowl. Add finely chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze lime & sprinkle in salt. Mix & taste to salt.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients into the bag, add the meat, close the bag, massage the marinate into the meat, and let it sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Take meat out, pat dry the meat with paper towel. Lay out on a cookie sheet, brush on light amount of olive oil.
- Heat grill or grill pan to 375-400F.
- Grill on one side for about 3-5 minutes, depends how thin the meat is.
- Add guacamole and steak to tostones. Drizzle chimichurri sauce (recipe can be found here).
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give my TOSTONES, GUACAMOLE, SKIRT STEAK AND CHIMICHURI SAUCE a try? Let me know what you think. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!