Try these simple and nutritious Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw for Taco Tuesday with a twist. Keto and gluten-free, these tacos are so easy to make and contain tons of flavor.Jump to Recipe
It’s Taco Tuesday somewhere, right? I love these easy and tangy Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos any day of the week because they take almost no time to make. Pair them with a summer cocktail and purple cabbage slaw for taco night or a Cinco de Mayo feast.
This recipe is super light and is great for clean eating. The lime juice and fresh veggies make each bite taste crisp and fresh. Plus, I have a ton of topping and serving suggestions that will jazz up this meal or side dish.
The Best Shrimp For Tacos
I used 1 pound of frozen, jumbo shrimp in this recipe because they’re so much juicier than smaller shrimp. I also left the peel and tail on to seal in the flavor while they cooked. This recipe will still work with small and peeled shrimp with a few slight adjustments.
How To Season and Cook Shrimp
Shrimp take very well to chili powder, lime, and Mexican seasonings. I used a chili-lime spice blend called Tajin to season my shrimp. If you don’t have any on hand, use my Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Season The Shrimp: Add the shrimp to a bowl and toss them with Tanjin or your seasoning of choice, along with some sea salt.
- Cook The Shrimp: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Smaller shrimp will cook in 4 minutes, and larger in 6 minutes.
- Preparing The Shrimp To Serve: Once the shrimp is cooked, squeeze half a lime on top, add 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro, and toss well. If using shrimp with the peel on, carefully remove each peel and tail before eating. Add the peeled shrimp back to the pan and toss again.
How Else Can I Cook Shrimp?
You don’t need to stick to a frying pan for this recipe. Pull out your favorite toys and get cooking:
- How To Grill Shrimp: Add the seasoned shrimp to a high-heat grill. Use a silicone mat or skewers to help the shrimp cook evenly and to prevent them from falling through the grate. Cover with the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they start turning pink. Flip, cover, and cook until they’re no longer grey.
- How To Cook Shrimp In An Instant Pot: Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add 4 tablespoons of butter and allow it to melt. Add in the seasoned shrimp and cook for 2-4 minutes per side with the lid open. Once they’re cooked, toss them in lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- How To Cook Shrimp In An Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF. Thaw the shrimp before cooking, pat to dry, then brush with a little oil. Toss them in the seasoning and add them to the air fryer basket. Cook the shrimp for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Shrimp Taco Topping Suggestions
The yummy purple cabbage lime slaw I’ve paired with these shrimp tacos is so easy to throw together. It’s made up of just 3 ingredients and comes together in just 5 minutes. If you’re serving these as a meal, load them up with any of the following toppings for a mouthful of flavor:
- Lena’s Kitchen Pickled Onions
- Mango salsa
- Hot sauce
- Avocado or guacamole
- Yogurt Lime Crema
- Creamy Purple Cabbage Slaw
Helpful Serving Tips
- What Should I Drink? You deserve a drink after creating this taco feast. Grab a cold beer or a glass of rose before digging in. Both pair very nicely with the tangy flavors from the tacos.
- Do I Have To Heat The Tortillas? Toasting each tortilla in a pan or on the stovetop will add a tasty char on each side, and will prevent them from breaking apart. Use a lettuce cup or corn tortillas for a gluten-free or keto shrimp taco.
- How Much Shrimp Should Go In Each Taco? This will depend on how large your shrimp are and the amount of toppings you plan on adding. Add 2 to 3 large shrimp in each taco, and 4 to 5 if using small shrimp.
- Is This A Dinner Or Appetizer? Your pick! These will make a light summer appetizer before serving a main dish, such as my Rib-Eye Steak. If serving the tacos as a main, I recommend serving them alongside yummy side dishes like my Mexican Street Corn Salad or Chicken Tortilla Soup.
If you give my CHILI LIME SHRIMP TACOS WITH CABBAGE SLAW recipe a try, let me know what you think and what you served them with! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture, tag it with #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram. I love seeing what you come up with!
Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos With Cabbage Slaw
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, unpeeled or peeled
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 tsp Tajin seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped, for topping tacos
- 6 corn or flour tortillas, toasted
- ½ cup Lena's Kitchen Pickled onions, divided between tacos
- 1 ½ cup purple or white cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Prep the slaw first. Finely shred the cabbage and add it to a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and salt, and massage them into the cabbage using your hands. This will help break down and soften the cabbage. Set aside while you cook the shrimp.
Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos
- In a large bowl, season the shrimp with Tajin and sea salt. Toss together. Melt 4 tbsp of butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Smaller shrimp will cook in 4 minutes, larger in 6 minutes.
- Once shrimp is cooked, squeeze half lime over top and add 1/4 cup of cilantro. Toss well. If using shrimp with the peel on, carefully remove the peel and tail. Toss them back into the pan and toss again to coat the shrimp in all of the flavors.
- Toast the tortillas in a pan or right on the stovetop. I like to get a little char on one side. This will take about one minute for each side.
- Assemble the tacos: In a tortilla, add some slaw, 3 large shrimp, and top with pickled onions and cilantro. Finish with a squeeze of lime. Serve while hot.