Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts are a simple, yet delicious low carb appetizer! They’re ready to eat in 10 minutes, made without breadcrumbs, and served with homemade garlic aioli for dipping.Jump to Recipe
Air fryer artichokes recipe
Keto-friendly appetizers always show up at my parties. Platters of baba ganoush and veggies, baked meatballs, and cheeseburger stuffed mini peppers are put out and gone within minutes! Air Fryer Artichokes with Garlic Aioli are one of the newest additions to the party and always a hit with guests.
Coated in a low carb garlic and parmesan “breading”, these crispy air fried artichokes are not only a healthy appetizer but a delicious one as well! Canned water-packed artichoke hearts are drained, then tossed in a garlic powder, salt, and parmesan coating before being cooked in the air fryer. Dip them in the homemade garlic aioli when they’re done and enjoy!
Tools you need for these Air Fryer Artichokes
- Canned artichoke hearts – Pick up 2 cans of artichoke hearts packed in water. Oil-packed or marinated artichoke hearts aren’t an ideal choice because of the added flavors and oil but can be used if that’s all you have at home. Just dry them really well with paper towels before tossing them in the garlic powder and parmesan.
- Olive oil – Coating the artichoke hearts in a little oil will help them crisp in the air fryer and keep the seasonings and parmesan from falling off.
- Garlic powder – Mixed with salt to give the artichoke hearts a delicious savory flavor.
- Parmesan cheese – Freshly grated parmesan crisps up in the air fryer, giving the artichokes a subtle crunch and saltiness without needing breadcrumbs.
- Garlic aioli – This is my favorite dip to pair with artichokes! It’s easy to make at home using keto mayonnaise, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Plus, you can make it up to 5 days ahead of time and store it in the fridge so it’s ready to enjoy at a moment’s notice.
How to make air fryer artichoke hearts with garlic aioli
This 10-minute keto appetizer is tossed in a breadcrumb-free coating and then air fried! It’s so easy to make and ready after 4 simple steps:
- Prepare the artichoke hearts.
Drain the excess water from the canned artichoke hearts. If they’re whole, cut them in half. Dry them well with paper towels.
- Coat the artichokes.
Toss the halved artichoke hearts with olive oil in a bowl. Next, toss them in the garlic powder and salt. Finish by coating them in freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Air fry the artichoke hearts.
Place the coated artichokes in an even layer in the air fryer basket (work in batches if needed). Cook for 5 minutes, flip, and air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Make the aioli, then serve.
While you wait for the artichokes to cook, stir the mayonnaise, smoked paprika, grated garlic, lemon zest, and juice together in a small bowl. Serve the fried artichokes on a serving platter with the garlic aioli and enjoy!
Mix up the flavors!
There are so many available variations to this recipe, so have fun mixing up the flavors!
- Instead of artichoke hearts – Make this recipe with any vegetable! Coat broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, potatoes, or any other veggie you like in the garlic and parmesan, then air fry to crispy perfection.
- Mix up the seasonings – Add paprika, cumin, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, Cajun seasoning, or anything else you like to the coating.
- Keto breading options – Toss the artichoke hearts in a little bit of almond flour (mixed with the spices and cheese) or a 1:1 mix of almond flour and coconut flour before frying. The flour will crisp up when cooked and give the fried artichokes an extra crunch.
- Dipping sauce options – Instead of the garlic aioli sauce, dip the fried artichoke hearts in hummus, ranch dressing, cilantro lime crema, yogurt feta sauce, or Caesar dressing.
- Toppings – Top the air fried artichokes with more parmesan, mozzarella cheese, fresh herbs, or a drizzle of hot sauce.
Frequently asked questions
The coated artichoke hearts only need to be cooked for 10 minutes in a 400ºF air fryer. You’ll know they’re ready to eat when the cheese is golden brown and the artichokes look tender and crispy.
Frozen artichoke hearts can be cooked in the air fryer, but should be thawed and patted dry first. This keeps the seasonings and parmesan from falling off.
Absolutely! Coat the artichoke hearts before laying them on a wire rack over top of a baking sheet (to keep the air circulating and ensure crispy baked artichokes). Bake in a 400ºF oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
Looking for more air fryer appetizers?
- Extra Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Loaded Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Asian Pork Meatballs
- Easy Keto Chicken Tenders
If you give these Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts with Garlic Aioli a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it with #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram. I love seeing what you come up with!
Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts with Garlic Aioli (Keto and Low Carb)
Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts
Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF degrees.
- Remove the artichokes from the can, drain well. If they are whole, cut in half. Then using a few paper towels, dry them on the paper towel, gently pressing down.
- In a bowl, add artichokes and olive oil, toss gently to coat the artichokes.
- Then add garlic powder and salt, toss gently to coat. Add Parmesan cheese, toss to combine.
- Spray air fryer basket with oil. Add artichokes and air fry for 5 minutes.
- Flip and air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Remove to a serving platter. Serve with aioli sauce to dip.
- Add mayonnaise, smoked paprika, grated garlic, lemon zest and juice into a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine and add to a serving platter with artichokes. Enjoy.