Steak is what’s for dinner. This is one of my favorite methods of cooking steak lately. Bake low and slow, let it rest and then sear on both sides. If you know how to use an oven, heat up a skillet or a grill… you can make this amazing steak dinner with sides of your choice. I’ve been making steak like this for a while and decided it’s time to share my tips and tricks on making the juiciest and easy foolproof steak. I like to buy Rib eye steak for this, with or without the bone works. Make this for your next dinner party for your guests or for your family to enjoy.
SLOW ROASTED RIB EYE with ROASTED TOMATOES
- 2 1" - 1/2" thick boneless rib eye steak
- 12 sprigs thyme, 3 per side
- 8 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and smashed
- generous amount of sea salt
- 1/2 cup chimichurri sauce
- 1 lb campari tomatoes
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Very Important Tip : Make sure your steak has come to room temperature before cooking for at least an hour on the counter uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Season the steak with salt, smashed peeled garlic, and a few sprigs of thyme per side. Placing a cooling rack on a cookie sheet, lay the steak on top. Bake in the oven in the middle rack for 45 minutes.
- Remove the steak from the oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, heat a cast iron skillet or grill to high heat. Sear the steak for 3-7 minutes on each side, depending on how well done you like your steak. I like to do it for 3 minutes on each side to render the fat and get a nice sear. Add in the compound butter slices (recipe can be found here) and let it sit for a minute covered to let the butter melt.
- Transfer the steak from the pan to a cutting board. While preparing to serve, slice the meat on a diagonal into your desired thickness, or leave it uncut. Drizzle with my fresh chimichurri sauce and add the roasted tomatoes.
ROASTED TOMATOES METHOD
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add tomatoes to a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until all tomatoes have burst out of their skins.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before eating.
- When you bring the steak home from the grocery store, remove it from the package and place it in on the counter, uncovered, on a plate lined with a few paper towels until you are ready to prepare it. This will help remove any excess moisture and will also help intensify the flavor of your steak.
- When it's time to prep the steak for some lovin' in the oven, crush some garlic and get a few sprigs of fresh thyme ready. Season the steak well on both sides with high quality sea salt. Add in the crushed and peeled garlic and a few sprigs of thyme, flip and repeat. Lay the steak out on a cooling rack with the cookie sheet underneath. Let it sit on the counter while the oven heats up. Add to the oven and bake!
The sear on this came out great. Once you have assembled your plate of sides you are ready to cut this bad boy and enjoy. let me know what you thought and how yours came out.
My favorite salad to serve with this is a GRILLED CAESAR SALAD with homemade croutons and dressing. It’s super easy to make and the smoky grilling part makes the salad that much better. I hope you enjoy and give this a try.
Classic Homemade Caesar Dressing
- Immersion blender or blender
- ⅓ cup mayonaise
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ large lemon, juiced
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 anchovies fillet, or 1 1/2 tsp anchovy paste
Classic Homemade Caesar Dressing
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mason jar.
- Use an immersion blender to blend all of the ingredients together. Pull the blender up and down until the dressing has emulsified. Blending will only take around 15-30 seconds.
- Stir the dressing, and taste to adjust the seasoning if needed. Tasting is key to achieving the perfect taste. You may want a little more anchovy, salt, or lemon.
- Serve with romaine lettuce, croutons, and your choice of protein (such as grilled chicken). Keep the dressing refrigerated and eat within 2 weeks.