This oven baked French toast recipe brings a whole new meaning to comfort food! Slices of buttery brioche are soaked in a rich custard mixture, baked to golden-brown perfection, and finished with a burst of sweet berries. Serve it for a lazy weekend breakfast or a special brunch occasion.Jump to Recipe
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Effortless: Baking French toast in the oven is a hassle-free way to make a gourmet breakfast. Plus, you only need nine ingredients!
- Perfect for groups: Since it’s all made in one dish, oven baked French toast is the ideal breakfast for family gatherings and large brunch parties.
- Make-ahead option: Prepare everything the night before and wake up to a ready-made morning treat.
Easy oven-baked French toast
I’m a sucker for French toast! I already have options like this easy French toast with caramelized bananas and strawberry cream cheese stuffed French toast on my blog, but you can never have too many recipes. If you love indulgent breakfasts as much as I do, you’ll fall head over heels for this oven baked French toast recipe!
It starts with a base of brioche bread, offering a soft, pillowy texture that perfectly absorbs the sweet, vanilla-infused custard. The sugars caramelize during baking, creating a crispy golden crust.
Plus, adding mixed berries offers a tart contrast that will keep you coming back for seconds and thirds. You’ll be surprised at just how easy this recipe is to make! Try it out for a drool-worthy Sunday breakfast or a fuss-free holiday brunch for the family.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Unsalted butter: Gives the French toast a rich taste and texture. Substitute butter with margarine for a dairy-free option.
- Brioche bread: Brioche bread’s soft, fluffy texture is perfect for French toast. However, challah or any thick, sturdy bread can be used instead.
- Eggs: Form the base of the custard.
- Whole milk & cream: I use both milk and half-and-half cream to create an ultra-creamy custard. Dairy-free milk like almond or oat milk also works for a lighter version.
- Granulated & brown sugar: I use both to add sweetness and a deeper, more complex flavor. Alternatively, try coconut sugar, agave, or maple syrup.
- Vanilla extract: Infuses the recipe with a sweet, creamy flavor. Use pure vanilla extract for the best results. You can also use almond extract for a unique twist.
- Berries: Think blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries. Or, use a mixture of them all. You can also use any seasonal fruits in place of berries.
How to make oven baked French toast
- Prep the oven and dish: Start preheating your oven to 375F and grease a baking dish with a touch of butter.
- Mix the custard: In the meantime, whisk the eggs, milk, half-and-half cream, sugars, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and fully incorporated.
- Soak the bread: Submerge thick slices of brioche bread in the mixture, letting them sit for about a minute to soak up the eggs.
- Assemble the dish: Place the soaked bread in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle berries on top, making sure to tuck some between slices for an even distribution of flavor. Pour the remaining custard mixture over the slices.
- Bake: Cover the dish with foil and bake the French toast for 25 minutes, then uncover it and continue baking for another 25 minutes until golden brown.
French toast toppings
For an extra gourmet oven baked French toast recipe, serve your dish with toppings like these:
- Whipped cream
- Fresh fruit
- Chopped nuts
Frequently asked questions
My two favorite options are brioche or challah due to their richness and ability to soak up the egg mixture. It’s important to keep the slices about an inch thick so they hold up to the moisture of the custard. You can also use sourdough, Texas toast, or French baguette if you can’t find the previously mentioned options.
You can make this recipe dairy-free by using almond, soy, or oat milk and margarine or a butter substitute like Earth Balance or Miyoko’s.
Of course! This recipe can be made gluten-free by simply swapping out the brioche with your favorite gluten-free bread variety.
Storage & reheating
If you end up with leftover oven baked French toast, follow these simple storage and reheating tips:
- Fridge: Once cooled, store the French toast in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: For longer storage, freeze individual slices and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. They should last up to 2-3 months this way.
- Reheating: Warm slices in a 350F oven or toaster oven for about 5-7 minutes until warmed through. You can also heat them in the microwave, though the slices won’t crisp up as well.
- Prep ahead: To save time the morning of, I recommend assembling and baking the French toast the night before. Then, all you have to do is reheat it when you wake up.
- Chocolate chips: Sprinkle chocolate chips between the layers.
- Savory: Omit the sweeteners and add cheese and ham for a savory version.
- Nuts: Add a layer of chopped nuts for a crunchy texture.
- Pumpkin spice: Incorporate pumpkin purée and pumpkin spice for a fall flavor.
- Apple cinnamon: Layer thin apple slices and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Bread thickness: Use 1-inch thick slices for optimal soaking. You can pre-slice the bread and leave it out for a day so it turns stale and soaks up the custard better.
- Even soaking: Ensure each slice is thoroughly soaked before transferring it to the baking dish.
- Check the doneness: Bake the French toast until the top is deeply golden brown and set for a crispy texture on top with a tender interior.
- Rest before serving: Let it cool for a few minutes after coming out of the oven so it has time to set.
Looking for more sweet breakfasts?
If you enjoyed this oven baked French toast recipe, check out some more sweet breakfast ideas:
- Cream Cheese Berry Danish
- Buttermilk Waffles
- Air Fryer Yogurt Custard Toast
- Strawberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
If you try this Oven Baked French Toast recipe, let me know what you think! Rate and review this recipe in the comments below. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog!
Easy Oven Baked French Toast
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Grease a baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, add milk, half and half, both sugars, vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Slice the bread into 1-inch slices. Submerge each piece of bread into the egg mixture, allowing the bread to sit at least a minute and soak up the eggs. Arrange the bread in the prepared baking dish. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread slices.
- Sprinkle the berries in between the layers, tucking some between the slices.
- When ready to bake, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the French toast is deeply golden.
- Serve the french toast warm, topped with any additional berries, maple syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!