This recipe for Easy French Toast With Caramelized Bananas is almost too good to be true. This simple breakfast is made extra delicious with a helping of decadent caramelized bananas. Add a healthy dose of maple syrup and whipped cream to start your day off right!
Not sure what to do what the pile of bananas on your kitchen counter? Don’t let them go to waste! Use them for this easy recipe instead!
I love to eat french toast for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. For this recipe, I’m mixing things up and topping the slices of butter-soaked bread with extra sweet caramelized bananas and whipped cream. You can even make it feel extra fancy with a splash of whiskey or bourbon!
What are caramelized bananas?
Caramelized bananas are a sweet treat using a few key ingredients to complement the delicious fruit. Slice the bananas length-wise or into small rounds, then pan-fry in butter and brown sugar. After 5 or 10 minutes, the banana slices will become golden and syrupy on the outside and taste extra sweet on the inside.
You can even cook the bananas without refined sugar or dairy! Swap the brown sugar for a natural sweetener like honey, agave, or maple syrup. If you’re dairy-free, coconut oil is a great alternative to butter.
Add a splash of bourbon, whiskey, or Grand Marnier to the frying pan as the bananas cook to add a decadent flavor. Otherwise, feel free to season them with a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, or a pinch of salt.
You can serve caramelized bananas with this recipe, on top of pancakes, or with a bowl of ice cream.
Ingredients You Need
You’ll only need a few staple ingredients for this easy french toast recipe:
- Brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Powdered sugar
What kind of bread should I use?
Thick slices of white bread, such as challah, brioche, sourdough, Texas loaf, or regular white bread, is best for french toast. Each slice will soak up the butter, egg wash, and maple syrup as it cooks. You could also use a gluten-free bread if you’re sensitive to gluten.
How to Make French Toast
This recipe for french toast is easy and comes together in just 2 steps:
- Make the egg wash: In a bowl or shallow dish, whisk the eggs, cream, and sugar together. Next, heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Make the french toast: Dip one or two bread slices (depending on the size of your skillet) in the egg wash so both sides are covered. Add the slice(s) to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining slices.
How To Caramelize Bananas
While you’re waiting for the bananas to cook, keep the ready toast inside your oven (turned off) so it stays warm.
- Make brown butter: Add the butter to the skillet over medium heat and wait for it to melt. Next, sprinkle the sugar over the melted butter.
- Caramelize the bananas: Lay the banana halves over the butter and sugar in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the banana slices and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
This french toast recipe will taste great with just the banana slices or with a variety of toppings! Try it with the classic whipped cream and maple syrup, or go all out and layer on mixed berries, jam, Nutella, peanut butter, cream cheese icing, or fresh fruit.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover french toast can be stored either in an airtight container, a freezer bag, or wrapped in plastic. Keep them in the fridge for up to 2 days.
French toast is also freezer-friendly. Stack the pieces of french toast with a piece of parchment paper between each slice and store them either in an airtight container or a large freezer bag. The leftovers will last for up to one month.
Reheat leftovers for a minute or 2 in the microwave or heat in a skillet or in a toaster oven until warmed through.
More Breakfast Recipes
These sweet breakfast recipes will fill up your family and please all of your guests:
- Mini Chocolate Pancake Cereal
- Easy Crepes
- Strawberry Pop-Tarts
- Chocolate-Cardamom Banana Waffles
- Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Did you try this delicious breakfast recipe? Let me know what you think! Leave a comment or rate this recipe below. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram! I love to share all of your recreations.
Easy French Toast With Caramelized Bananas
- 12-inch non-stick pan
- 4 bananas, cut in half
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 8 slices bread, at least 1 inch in thickness
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- In a bowl or shallow dish, whisk the eggs, cream, and sugar together. Next, heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Dip one or two bread slices (depending on the size of your skillet) in the egg wash so both sides are covered. Add the slice(s) to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Add the butter to the skillet over medium heat and wait for it to melt. Next, sprinkle the sugar over the melted butter.
- Lay the banana halves over the butter and sugar in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the banana slices and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon the caramelized bananas and sauce over your french toast and enjoy!