Push the charcuterie aside and learn How to Make a Herbed Butter Board instead! Herb-infused whipped butter is spread onto a platter, then scooped up with bread, radishes, and more. It’s a sensational party appetizer that’s sure to please the dairy lovers in your life.Jump to Recipe
Viral Tik Tok butter board recipe
It’s no secret that butter makes everything better. That’s why I think you should save the epic charcuterie board for another day and make this herbed butter board instead!
Learning how to make an herbed butter board is easy. All you need is butter, herbs, lemon zest, salt, and a food processor to mix it all up. Spread the herby, dairy goodness onto a wood cheese board and add all of the toppings you want for a spectacular presentation.
It’s a no-nonsense snack that’s much easier and budget-friendly than a classic charcuterie board. Serve with plenty of warm artisan bread and fresh radishes on the side and enjoy!
What is a butter board?
A butter board is essentially softened butter spread over a wood cheese board. The recipe has been gaining popularity in 2022 since it was posted on TikTok by Justine Snacks. She was inspired by Joshua McFadden, who published the butter board recipe in his cookbook, Six Seasons.
Joshua says, “It was an opportunity to present butter and add fun, seasonal ingredients to it that made the butter more than the sum of its parts.”
And he’s right! This is a party appetizer you can have a lot of fun with, whether you decide to add extra flavor boosters, toppings, and snacks for dipping.
Watch how to make a Herbed Butter Board Video
What’s the best kind of butter for a butter board?
There are three kinds of butter I would recommend using, each with its own benefits. Regardless of the type, make sure the butter you use is unsalted. This way, you can play with the flavors easily.
Decide between these three or get a mix of them all before you put the board together:
- Grass-fed butter: This has a pure and creamy buttery flavor with a vibrant yellow color. It would be a fantastic option here.
- European butter: The richest of the three choices at 82% butterfat. European butter is deliciously creamy, smooth, and will be the easiest to spread across a board.
- American butter: The most common and neutral-flavored of the three options. You can’t go wrong with this choice!
Ingredients and substitutions
These four ingredients are a must for an herb butter board. If you want to mix up the flavors, toppings, or add-ins, head down to the Variations section.
- Unsalted butter – Unsalted Kerrygold grass-fed butter is my favorite here.
- Fresh herbs – I used fresh basil and dill.
- Citrus – Add some brightness by zesting fresh lemon on top.
- Flaky sea salt – Salt sprinkled on top of the butter rounds out all of the flavors. Don’t skip it!
- Bread – For serving. Scroll down to the Serving Suggestions to discover more treats to serve with your butter board.
How to make a herbed butter board
Make sure your butter is softened, but not melted before getting started. Either let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or warm it in the microwave in 10-second intervals until soft.
Add the softened butter to a food processor along with the herbs. Pulse until it’s smooth and the herbs are fully incorporated.
Use a spatula to spread the herb butter onto a wooden board, serving platter, or plate. Top with flaky sea salt and more herbs. Serve and enjoy!
This is where you can have a bit of fun. You can really make a butter board eye-catching with extra toppings and flavor boosters:
Mix up the flavors
Whip any of these add-ins with the butter and herbs:
- Minced, grated, or roasted garlic
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh mint
- Greek yogurt
- Citrus zest
Finish with toppings
Top the butter with any of these toppings for a beautiful presentation:
- Pickled red onions
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Cracked pepper
- Apricot preserves
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Fresh berries
- Fig jam
- Crushed nuts
- Sliced pickles
- Edible flowers
- Sliced radishes
As-is, you can serve this butter board with fresh crusty bread, sliced focaccia, radishes (a la the famous French snack, Radishes with Butter), or a sliced baguette. Put out a butter knife or two for easy spreading.
If you decide on an ultra-savory butter board (infused with horseradish or garlic), scoop it up with steak bites or another hearty protein.
Looking for more crowd-pleasing party snacks?
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Whipped Feta Lemon Dip
- Holiday Charcuterie Board
- Pan Con Tomate
- Russian Charcuterie Board
If you try this Herbed Butter Board let me know what you think! Rate and review this recipe in the comments below. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog!
How To Make A Herbed Butter Board
- Add softened butter to a food processor along with the herbs. Blend until smooth.
- Remove and spread on a board or plate. Top with lemon zest, flaky sea salt, and extra fresh herbs.
- Serve with a butter knife and bread or add fresh radishes.