These Crispy Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks are incredibly simple and delicious! Seasoned with oil, garlic, and paprika, this vegetarian side dish comes out of the oven tasting perfectly tender and caramelized after just 30 minutes.Jump to Recipe
Easy and tender roasted cabbage steaks
Are you a fan of roasted brussels sprouts? Then you’re going to love these Crispy Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks! Baked to tender, caramelized perfection, this super easy and healthy vegan side dish is the best addition to dinner.
Cabbage steaks are made by slicing a green cabbage into large rounds, seasoning both sides of the “steaks” with oil and simple seasonings, then letting them roast in the oven. Once they’re golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside, the crispy roasted cabbage is ready to be enjoyed with plenty of savory toppings!
Just like brussels sprouts or cauliflower, baking cabbage in the oven removes all of the bitter flavors you would normally taste if eaten raw. Instead, the baked vegetable has layers of savory flavors that pair well with anything, from steak to chicken to pasta!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Green cabbage – You can use red or purple cabbage if that’s all you have at home but I much prefer the flavor of roasted green cabbage. Make sure the cabbage you buy looks fresh, tight, and compact. It should also feel heavy for its size.
- Olive oil – To help soften and tenderize the cabbage. To make this recipe oil free, substitute the oil for vegetable broth.
- Simple seasonings – All you need is garlic powder, smoked paprika, and kosher salt to season the baked cabbage. You can get pretty creative with the seasonings so feel free to use what you like!
- Toppings – I topped the cabbage steaks with toasted breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and herbs to keep things simple. To make this recipe keto, low carb, and gluten free, omit the breadcrumbs or use crushed pork rinds instead.
How to make roasted cabbage steaks
It doesn’t get much easier than this! This cabbage steak recipe turns a simple green vegetable into a tender and crispy dish. All it takes is 30 minutes:
- Prepare the cabbage.
Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage and trim the end of the stem. Slice the cabbage into half-inch-thick rounds.
- Season and roast the cabbage steaks.
Stir the olive oil, spices, and salt together in a small bowl. Brush the oil mixture over both sides of each cabbage steak, then place them on a baking sheet. Roast them in the oven until the edges brown.
- Prepare the toppings.
Toast the panko breadcrumbs in a small pan over medium heat until they’re golden brown. Add them to a bowl with the herbs and parmesan, and stir them all together.
- Serve and enjoy!
Add the baked cabbage slices to a serving platter. Top with the bread, herb, and cheese mixture and serve!
Cabbage steak toppings
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh herbs (parsley, basil, or cilantro)
- Pickled onions
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Green onions
- Yogurt feta sauce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Chopped pecans, walnuts, or pine nuts
- Feta cheese
- Caesar dressing
- Red pepper flakes
Frequently asked questions
To pan-fry the cabbage steaks instead, add some oil to a large pan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the seasoned cabbage wedges on both sides until they’re tender and crisp.
Yes! Oil the slats on the grill and preheat it to medium-high heat. Once the steaks are seasoned, place them on the grill and cook until both sides are tender and crisp (about 5 minutes per side).
Roasted cabbage tastes really tender, earthy, and rich. The bland, bitter flavors cook right out and the savory seasonings and oil are infused into every leaf.
Grilled cabbage secretly pairs really well with beef and chicken. Serve the steaks over rice, quinoa, cauliflower mash, or polenta on the side of a ribeye steak, short ribs, corned beef sandwiches, or baked chicken for a hearty meal.
Serve the oven-roasted cabbage as a tasty vegetarian side dish on Meatless Monday! It’s delicious next to a baked whole cauliflower, brown butter gnocchi, and steamed artichokes.
They’re best enjoyed right out of the oven but you can store the cabbage steaks for later if you end up with leftovers. Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Reheat them in the microwave or a 350ºF oven until warmed through.
Hungry for more vegetarian side dishes?
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Herb Pesto Green Bean Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Beet Terrine with Goat Cheese
Did you try these Crispy Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and giving this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to take a picture tag me on Instagram or use #lenaskitchenblog to be featured in my stories! I love seeing what you come up with!
Crispy Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- ¼ cup panko
- ¼ cup fresh herbs finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Preheat the oven to 400F. Add parchment paper to a baking sheet.
- Peel off any wilted cabbage leaves. Trim just the end of the stem to remove any brown or dry parts, leaving the full stem intact. You need the stem to keep the slices together. Slice cabbage into ½ inch rounds.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil with spices and salt.
- Brush olive oil mixture on both sides of the cabbage. Lay on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- While the cabbage is cooking, toast the panko crumbs in a small pan until golden brown. Move constantly so they don’t burn. Add salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Mix to combine. Turn off heat. Remove from heat and let cool. Add freshly chopped herbs and cheese, toss together.
- Remove the cabage from oven.
- Top cabbage with toppings. Enjoy while warm.
Refrigerate: These cabbage steaks will keep well in the fridge for 3 – 5 days in a sealed container.
Reheating: Reheat the cabbage in the microwave for about 2 minutes or bake at 350° F for about 10 – 15 minutes until warm.