This Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad with Parmesan is tossed in a citrus vinaigrette. The addition of almonds and red onions makes for a delicious, crunchy salad.JUMP TO RECIPE
PIN IT NOW! CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RAW BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD with PARMESAN RECIPE TO YOUR SALAD BOARD ON PINTEREST.
When it comes to salads, I would say I’m pretty adventurous with trying new flavors and combinations. On a whim when I was testing out a recipe for brussels sprouts that I tossed with lemon and parmesan, this salad was born. The results were delicious, so this Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad with Parmesan came to life.
Adding crunch from the Marcona almonds and a little spicy kick from the red onions makes this salad the perfect salad for any time of the year. Once spring weather hits in Portland, all I crave are some good hearty salads. This one doesn’t disappoint at all.
The Citrus Vinaigrette is so easy to make. As easy as toss everything in a mason jar, close the lid and shake, shake, shake. Set aside for flavors to get to know each other. It will keep in the fridge for about a week.
Are brussels sprouts good raw?
This Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad with Parmesan is completely delicious raw. Brussels sprouts are totally fine to eat raw for most people. Some people, however, experience gas and bloating from difficult-to-digest sugars found in raw cruciferous vegetables. These sugars become easier to digest once cooked.
How do you chop brussels sprouts?
There are a few different ways of chopping/shaving brussels sprouts. For this Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad, I cut mine by hand with a knife. First cut them in half, then thinly slice until the hardcore, which you don’t want. That’s it. This way is a bit longer, but then you get the perfect thin slices that you can control.
You can also use a food processor with the slicer attachment if you’re making a big batch to make the cutting process way faster for you. Check out the food processor I own, it’s a great tool to have in the kitchen, not just for cutting but for blending too.
Another way of cutting brussels sprouts is by using a mandolin, which is more intimidating for some.
For an easy way out, get a bag of shaved brussels sprouts from the grocery store if you’re short on time.
If you want to make a vegan version of this salad, just omit the cheese and you’ve got yourself a great healthy vegan salad.
This Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad keeps well if you wanted to make extra for lunch. I would toss the dressing right before serving and add the nuts last.
The perfect salad to bring to a potluck, summer BBQ, brunch or dinner to a friend’s house.
RAW BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD WITH PARMESAN AND CITRUS VINAIGRETTE
RAW BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD
- In a small mason jar, add in all the CITRUS VINAIGRETTE ingredients together. Close lid and shake well.
RAW BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD
- Remove any wilted leaves on the brussels sprouts, cut them in half. Finely shave the sprouts until you hit the stem part. Discard the stems and place the sliced brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Slice the red onion into really thin slices. Add to the bowl and mix well with your hands. Roughly chop the almonds or nuts of choice. Set nuts aside to be added last.
- Toss the sliced sprouts and onions with 3/4 of dressing until coated, reserve some for any extra dressing if needed. Serve immediately or let sit at room temperature for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the sprouts to soften and the flavors to combine.
- Right before serving, fInely shave the parmesan cheese into the bowl and add nuts. Taste for additional seasoning.
If you make this RAW BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD with PARMESAN, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Happy Monday lovelies,