Try these juicy Salmon Patties with Homemade Tartar Sauce as a healthy and time-saving appetizer or side dish! Using simple ingredients, this keto and gluten-free dish takes under 15 minutes to come together and is a real crowd-pleaser.Jump to Recipe
Fresh and Satisfying Salmon Patties
Need a light weeknight meal or a healthy appetizer? These Salmon Patties with Homemade Tartar Sauce are the perfect option! They’re so easy to whip together and use fresh and simple ingredients. Unlike regular recipes, these salmon patties do not contain any flour, crackers, breadcrumbs, or mayo. It ticks all the boxes: low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and pescetarian friendly!
Better yet, salmon is rich in omega-3’s, making it the ultimate food for your brain and body. It gets even better when mixed and formed into small, fried cakes with fresh lemon, tangy mustard, and delicious herbs and spices.
It’s not a party without the tartar sauce! Use my easy recipe to create your own seafood sauce from scratch. Plus, it’s the perfect partner to this appetizer and takes just 5 minutes to throw together.
Salmon Patty Ingredients
The list of ingredients in these patties is fairly short and simple:
- Skinless salmon fillet
- Egg yolk
- Shallot or sweet onion
- Fresh lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Smoked paprika
The egg yolks create an immaculate bind that will hold all of the ingredients together. Fresh lemon juice makes the patties extra juicy, plus it reduces the fishy smell from the salmon. Add a little extra squeeze of lemon to the finished patties.
Can I Use Canned Salmon?
Canned salmon is a great option if you’re running low on time and unable to shop for or prepare fresh salmon. Just know that skinless, boneless, fresh salmon fillet is the best option and will give you an unbeatable flavor.
How to Make Salmon Patties
Using a food processor will save you time in this recipe, however, feel free to throw everything in a large mixing bowl and combine the ingredients with a fork instead.
This is how you make fresh and crispy salmon patties:
- Mix Ingredients: In a food processor, add the salmon, egg yolk, lemon juice, onion, salt, dijon mustard, paprika, and dill. Pulse for 10 seconds or until all of the ingredients are well combined. DO NOT over blend.
- Form The Patties: Wet your hands with water and shape the salmon mixture into 8 balls. Use your hands to flatten each ball into patties.
- Pan Fry: Heat up a skillet with the cooking oil on medium heat. Fry the salmon patties, cooking for 2 to 2 ½ minutes per side, or until golden and crispy.
- Let Them Cool: Allow the salmon patties to rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy: Transfer the patties to a serving plate. They’re best served warm with lemon wedges and homemade tartar sauce.
How To Make Salmon Patties In An Air Fryer
Cooking the patties in an air fryer will create a low-fat version and save you time. To do so, spray both sides of each salmon cake with cooking spray. Preheat the air fryer at 400ºF for about 3 minutes. Cook the patties for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy all around.
Can I Bake Salmon Patties Instead?
Of course! This is another great, low-fat option. To bake the salmon patties, preheat your oven to 425ºF. Place the patties on a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 8 minutes on each side.
Homemade Tartar Sauce Ingredients
This homemade and easy tartar sauce is tangy and the perfect pairing for the salmon cakes. These are the only ingredients you need:
- Dill pickle + juice
- Shallot or onion
- Dried dill or parsley
- Dijon mustard
How to Make Homemade Tartar Sauce
Does it get any easier than this? Two steps and one bowl!
- Combine: In a small mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well to blend.
- Cover: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- You don’t have to use egg yolks as a binder. Use a mixture of 6 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of golden flaxseed meal as a substitution.
- If you don’t have dill on hand, feel free to change the herbs to parsley, cilantro, or green onion.
- Don’t like mayonnaise? Use plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo in the tartar dressing.
- If you don’t have buttermilk at home, use an equal amount of plain yogurt instead, or pour 1 cup of milk over 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. Stir, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
How to Serve
Serve the keto-friendly salmon patties warm with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and the homemade tartar sauce on the side. They go great as the protein next to a kale salad with fresh caesar dressing.
Looking for more tasty salmon dishes? Try these recipes:
- Smoked Salmon Street Tacos
- Crispy Skin Salmon With Veggies And Noodles
- Salmon, Tomato Skewers With Chimichurri Sauce
- Grilled Asian Salmon With Mustard Dressing
- Smoked Salmon Benedict
Did you try these Salmon Patties With Homemade Tartar Sauce? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and giving this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to take a picture tag me Instagram or use #lenaskitchenblog to be featured in my stories! I love seeing what you come up with!
Salmon Patties With Homemade Tartar Sauce (Keto)
- 1 lb skinless salmon fillet cut into 1" chunks
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small shallot or 1/4 sweet onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juiced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- lemon wedges
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tbsp dill pickle minced finely
- 2 tbsp dill pickle juice
- 2 tbsp shallot or onion minced finely
- 1 tbsp capers drained and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill or parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- In a food processor, add the salmon, egg yolk, onion, lemon juice, salt, dijon mustard, paprika, and dill.
- Pulse for 10 seconds or until all of the ingredients are well combined. DO NOT over blend.
- Wet your hands with water and shape the salmon mixture into 8 balls. Use your hands to flatten each ball into patties.
- Heat up a skillet with the cooking oil on medium heat. Fry the salmon patties, cooking for 2 to 2 ½ minutes per side, or until golden and crispy.
- Allow the salmon patties to rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the patties to a serving plate. They’re best served warm with lemon wedges and homemade tartar sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well to blend.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- Mince the tartar sauce ingredients finely for the best melding of the flavors.
- The salmon patties will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
- This homemade tartar sauce will last up to a week in the fridge.
Leave a Reply