Savory and filling Spicy Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Burritos are stuffed with roasted hatch chilies, Mexican cheese, eggs, and bacon. Assemble and wrap them in no time for a satisfying breakfast you can freeze for later or eat on the go.Jump to Recipe
Spicy breakfast burritos with hatch green chilies
Talk about the best breakfast ever! These hearty, filling, and Spicy Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Burritos are so satisfying and easy to make ahead of time. Fill them with your favorite Mexican ingredients to really up the flavor and heat!
The secret ingredient in these spicy burritos are New Mexico hatch green chilies. These spicy green peppers provide just the right amount of heat in every bite. They’re a little less spicy than your average jalapeno pepper and give the burritos layers of crowd-pleasing flavors.
You can easily make these breakfast burritos ahead of time and even freeze them for later. Along with my Low Carb Everything Bagels and Instant Pot Egg Bites, they’re one of my favorite breakfasts to devour in a hurry.
Bacon and egg burrito ingredients
- Hatch chili peppers – These rich and smoky New Mexican chili peppers are slightly less spicy than jalapeno peppers, but can sometimes pack in the same amount of heat. They’re the key ingredient when you want your burritos to pop!
- Bacon – The crispier, the better! Feel free to swap the bacon with any taco seasoned ground beef, chorizo, ham, or breakfast sausages.
- Eggs – Fresh scrambled eggs are what make this a signature breakfast burrito.
- Mexican cheese – Use a mixture of good melting cheeses, like Oaxaca, Asadero, or Monterey Jack. If you can’t find Mexican cheese, use your favorite cheese that shreds and melts well.
- Flour tortillas – Use large burrito-sized tortillas (8 inches or larger).
- Fillings – I like to stuff breakfast burritos with avocados, tomatoes, and cilantro to double down on the Mexican flavors but you can use anything you like.
How to make spicy breakfast burritos
- Crisp the bacon: Cook the bacon in a skillet until it’s nice and crispy. Save the fat in the pan and let the bacon drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Saute the chilies: In the pan with the bacon fat, saute the onions until they’re soft. Add the hatch chili peppers and cook until they’re nicely charred.
- Scramble the eggs: Whisk the eggs in a bowl to get them frothy. Pour them into the pan. Halfway through cooking, add the cheese and slowly scrape the pan until the eggs are cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Assemble the burritos: Scoop some of the eggs into the tortillas, then add the bacon, onions, chilies, and your fillings. Tightly wrap it up, then enjoy!
Tips and substitutions
- More spice – Use an extra hatch chili or replace them with jalapenos. To really up the spice, try adding spicy chorizo instead or in addition to the bacon.
- Less spice – Replace the hatch chilies with bell peppers.
- To seal the burritos close – Sear the wrapped tortillas in the warm pan on both sides until golden brown.
- Vegetarian – Leave out the bacon to make vegetarian breakfast burritos instead.
- Add ins – Crumble up some breakfast sausages or chorizo, stuff the burritos with breakfast potatoes, pickled red onions, and more fresh vegetables, stir homemade pesto into the scrambled eggs, or add anything else you like to customize your easy burritos!
- To store – Wrap the assembled burritos tightly in plastic and store in the fridge for 1 or 2 days.
What to serve with breakfast burritos
For a hearty and filling breakfast, serve them hot next to breakfast potatoes, fresh fruit, potato latkes, refried beans, avocado, and guacamole, salsa, or hot sauce for dipping. If you’re in a hurry to get out the door, blend a fruit smoothie while you wait for the made-ahead burrito to heat up for a complete and satisfying start to your day.
Freezing breakfast burritos
You can double or triple this recipe and freeze the burritos for easy grab-and-go weekday breakfasts. To freeze the assembled burritos, wait for them to cool before individually wrapping them in foil. They freeze well for 2 or 3 months.
More filling breakfast recipes to try
If you try these Spicy Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Burritos let me know what you think! Rate and review this recipe in the comments below. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog!
Spicy Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Burritos
- 6 flour tortillas burrito size, 8 inch or larger
- 2 hatch chili peppers roasted and chopped or use bell pepper
- 8 slices bacon cut into 1” pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup Mexican cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt divided
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 1 tomato chopped, optional
- Preheat the pan to medium heat, add bacon and cook until crispy, about 3 mins. Remove bacon to a plate. Save bacon fat, remove 2 tablespoons of bacon fat for eggs.
- In the remaining bacon fat, sauté the onions and ½ teaspoon of salt until translucent, about 3 mins. Add hatch chilies and cook for another 2 mins.
- In a bowl add eggs, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 4 tablespoons of cold water, whisk until frothy. Add eggs to a pan with remaining bacon fat or use some butter to cook on low heat.
- Add cheese to the eggs halfway while cooking. Using a rubber spatula, slowly scrape the pan across, back and forth, repeat this until the eggs are nice and fluffy and cheese is melted.
- To assemble the burritos, add eggs to the shells, then bacon, onion, and hatch chilies, avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro.
- Tightly wrap the burritos closed.
- Optional, add the burritos to a pan to crisp up. Serve with salsa or hot sauce.