This low carb take on Baked Caprese Chicken is the best one-skillet keto recipe. It’s an easy dish made from juicy chicken breasts and the fresh Italian flavors of tomato, mozzarella, and basil. It’s a beautiful weeknight dinner that can also be used for meal prep!Jump to Recipe
Following a low-carb lifestyle does not mean you have to sacrifice flavor! This one-pan Chicken Caprese recipe is filled with fresh Italian flavors that will keep you full and satisfied. It’s the perfect recipe to make for meal prep, a dinner party, or even for a romantic date night at home.
All you’ll need to do is add chopped onions and tomatoes to the bottom of a skillet or casserole dish with some seasoned chicken breast and bake. Next, you’ll add creamy mozzarella cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked perfectly. Once it’s out of the oven, finish this dish with some balsamic glaze and fresh basil.
This is an easy dinner that is naturally gluten-free and can be served over zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or even a bed of fresh greens. It’s one of the staple keto dinners I love to make for my family, along with this Keto Baked Parmesan Salmon and Cauliflower Mash.
What does Caprese mean?
The Capresi salad recipe originated in Capri, a small island off the coast of Italy. The literal translation of Caprese is “salad of Capri”.
Caprese salad is made up of a few distinct Italian ingredients like mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and balsamic vinegar. All of these ingredients can easily be used to also make sandwiches, hamburgers, or can be baked with different proteins like fish or beef.
What is chicken Caprese?
Chicken Caprese is made with chicken and the traditional Caprese salad ingredients. This version adds rich protein that turns a simple salad into a hearty meal.
The chicken and Caprese salad ingredients are baked together in the oven to bring out all of the fresh flavors. The chicken can then be used to top on pastas, Mediterranean chopped salads, or even put in a sandwich.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breasts – Boneless skinless chicken breasts bake quickly and are the preferred choice in this recipe. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if that’s all you have.
- Cherry tomatoes – These bright red juicy jewels add acidity and natural sweetness.
- Mozzarella – This will melt on top of the chicken for a creamy taste and texture. Use fresh, high-quality mozzarella if you can!
- Balsamic vinegar – This adds to the sweet, salty, and bright acidic flavors. You can make your own balsamic glaze or take a shortcut and buy some at your local grocery store.
- Red onion – For more texture and a touch of sweetness without being overpowering.
- Garlic – You just can’t make a classic Italian dish without garlic! Fresh is best.
- Italian seasonings – Kicking up the flavor with Italian seasonings such as fresh basil and oregano are what takes this dish to the next level.
How to make Caprese chicken in the oven
- Season the vegetables: Add the tomatoes and red onions to a skillet and season with salt and olive oil.
- Season and cook the chicken: Season the chicken before placing it on top of the veggies in the pan. Place the skillet in the oven and bake.
- Add the cheese: Remove the pan from the oven once the chicken is mostly cooked through. Add the cheese on top and bake once again to melt the cheese and finish cooking the chicken.
- Finish and serve: Drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil before serving.
What to serve with chicken Caprese
A low carb chicken Caprese bake is such a versatile dish because it can be enjoyed as a main or added to many other dishes:
- Add the cooked Caprese chicken in between two Keto Bacon Chaffles to make a sandwich.
- Serve it alongside a fresh salad like this Butter Lettuce Salad with Lemon Chive Dressing.
- Slice it up and serve it hot or cold on top of a green salad.
- Turn it into a low-carb soup by adding some chicken broth and zucchini noodles to a bowl and place the Caprese chicken and veggies on top.
- Serve it hot along with hearty Keto Creamy Cauliflower Mash.
Storing and reheating
You can store the cooked and cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The best way to reheat chicken Caprese is to place it in an oven-safe dish and cook it in a 325ºF oven for 15 minutes or until warmed through. You can also add it to a skillet with a lid and warm over medium-low heat. This recipe is also great eaten cold!
More chicken recipes to try for dinner
You’ll love these easy and delicious chicken recipes for dinner:
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Vinegar Chicken With Crushed Olives
- Keto Chicken Kofta with Herb Yogurt Sauce
- Greek Chicken Kabobs
If you try this Low Carb Caprese Chicken Bake, please leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog! I would love to know what you think.
Low Carb Caprese Chicken Bake
- 3 cups tomatoes on the vine, or cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 ½ tbsp sea salt, divided
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mozzarella ball, sliced into 8 slices
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Add cast iron pan to preheat. (Baking dish would work if you don’t have a cast-iron pan).
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over chicken breasts. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and oregano. Add the minced garlic and rub it all over each chicken breast along with the seasonings. Set aside.
- Remove pan from oven, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, tomatoes, and red onions, season with 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir and arrange the chicken breasts over the tomatoes and onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the mozzarella over the chicken. Bake for additional 5-7 minutes to melt the cheese and finish cooking the chicken. When finished, the chicken should be 165 F internally.
- While the chicken bakes, add balsamic vinegar to a small nonstick pot and cook until it reduces by half and becomes thicker on medium low heat. TIP: You can also skip this step and buy store-bought reduced balsamic vinegar.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, drizzle with balsamic reduction, and top with chopped fresh basil leaves. Serve while hot.