Turn simple pantry staples into a delicious pasta dish. With only a few ingredients, Spaghetti With Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs is a creamy bowl of comfort food, taking only 20 minutes to come together.Jump to Recipe
My mom is a huge source of inspiration in my life (and in the kitchen). When I was little, she used to make a similar version of this recipe but using just three ingredients: pasta, butter, and breadcrumbs. It was so creamy and delicious.
I wanted to recreate this infamous dish with elevated flavors for an elegant, yet simple bowl of comfort food. I’ve turned my mom’s recipe into an easy Spaghetti With Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs, using the additions of garlic, lemon zest, and herbs. It’s creamy, flavorful, and super easy to make!
Join me in making this dish or any other pasta dish from my blog for Pasta Friday on Friday April 24, 2020. Snap a pic of your pasta and share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #itspastafriday and tag @lenaskitchenblog. I can’t wait to party with you!
Ingredients In Spaghetti With Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs
I love that this dish fills me with nostalgia, but I also love that it’s so easy! All it takes are a few pantry-staple ingredients. I bet you can find most of these in your pantry already and if not, there are plenty of variations available:
- Pasta: The recipe is calling for spaghetti, but feel free to use any kind of pasta you have on hand. Looking for a gluten-free, keto, or low-carb option? Swap regular pasta for spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
- Herbs: Nothing but the best Italian flavors in this dish! Use either chives, parsley, or basil, or a combination of all three.
- Breadcrumbs: We’re tearing the bread ourselves and making our own breadcrumbs. To do this, use a hardy, stiff bread that will toast nicely like sourdough or ciabatta. Alternatively, use plain white bread or packaged breadcrumbs if that’s all you have.
How to Make Spaghetti With Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs
I promise you’ll be thinking of yourself as a pasta aficionado by the time you plate this meal! It’s so simple but tastes like it takes much more effort. There are only a few easy steps:
- Cook the Pasta: Fill a large pot with water and add a pinch of salt. This will help to season the spaghetti as it cooks. Turn the heat on high. Add the spaghetti or pasta to the water once it’s boiling, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente (firm to the bite). Drain the cooked pasta while reserving ¼ cup of the water. The leftover starchy pasta water helps in gluing all of the pasta, cheese, oil, and herbs together in the finished dish, resulting in a creamy and tasty pasta.
- Toast The Breadcrumbs: Heat some butter in a pan over medium-high heat while you tear up the bread into small, dime-sized pieces. They can be crouton-size or smaller if you prefer. Add the breadcrumbs to the hot pan, moving them around constantly so they don’t burn. You’re ready to add garlic when the bread is beginning to toast.
- Add Garlic: Next, add the flavor! To the pan, add chopped garlic and cook until it’s soft and fragrant (about 2 to 3 minutes). Turn off the heat once the garlic is ready and the breadcrumbs are crispy and golden brown.
- Put It All Together: Grate fresh parmesan cheese over the pasta in the pot and mix well. The cheese will melt and the pasta will become gooey and creamy. Add the toasted garlic breadcrumbs, lemon zest, and herbs. Mix to combine, and you’re ready to plate!
How to Serve This Dish
Add a heaping scoop of the Spaghetti With Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs to a bowl. Even though the pasta is already full of flavor, you can’t go wrong with fresh, grated parmesan on top. Next, add a sprinkle of fresh herbs or basil leaves and a squeeze of lemon. Top with a light sprinkle of chili flakes for a touch of heat.
There are plenty of options if you’re looking to add a little veg to this bowl. Roasted cherry tomatoes and cauliflower are my favorite. Add a handful of spinach when you’re mixing up the final batch of pasta if roasted veggies aren’t your thing, or top your bowl with fresh arugula or sundried tomatoes.
More Pasta Recipes
I would so love you to join us for the #itspastafriday fun on Friday, April 24, 2020! We’ll be partying together on Instagram and sharing our delicious pasta creations. Get inspired with these yummy pasta recipes:
- 3 Cheese & Basil Rolled Lasagna
- Roasted Squash, Garlic, Hazelnut & Crispy Sage Spaghetti
- Bucatini With Tomatoes And Burrata
- Browned Butter And Sage Gnocchi
- Easy One Pan Penne With Veggies & Prosciutto
- Easy Lasagna Soup
Join me in making this dish or any other pasta dish from my blog for Pasta Friday on Friday April 24, 2020. Share what you make on Instagram and use the hashtag #itspastafriday and tag @lenaskitchenblog. I can’t wait to party with you!
Let me know what you think of the Spaghetti With Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs! Leave a star rating, or add your thoughts to the comments below. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with your recreations! I would love to share it on my page.
Spaghetti With Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs
- Fill a large pot with water, add a large pinch of salt, and heat over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and add pasta. Cook for 10 minutes until pasta is al-dente.
- Drain the water, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Toss in the 3 tbsp of butter to the pasta.
Garlic Herb Breadcrumbs
- Tear bread into small, dime-sized pieces. Melt 5 tbsp of butter in a hot pan. Add the breadcrumbs and cook for 2-3 minutes, moving around constantly on medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until garlic is cooked and breadcrumbs are toasted.
- To the pasta, grate fresh parmesan cheese over top and mix well. Add in the breadcrumbs with garlic, lemon zest, and herbs. Toss together. Serve and add a sprinkle of extra parmesan cheese or herbs. Enjoy while hot.