One of my favorite treats to make for my kids are waffles, and I don’t only make them for breakfast, sometimes it’s an after dinner treat. I decided to kick these up a few notches and make them special. I added some really good quality cocoa powder and my favorite spice, cardamom.
I became a huge fan of cardamom after I got a shipment of these gorgeous whole cardamom pods from Reluctant Trading, and ever since then, I started using cardamom with a lot of my desserts and granola. I wish you could reach out through the screen and smell how amazing the aroma of these pods are. They have notes of grapefruit, ginger, mint, licorice and menthol. Yum. My world has changed since I started using their amazing spices.
I think the flavor combination of chocolate and cardamon are meant to be best friends. Adding some super ripe banana pieces adds another level of gooeyness inside these waffles, while keeping them a bit more crunchy on the outside.I love the fact that I can whip these up in no time and make something special for the kids. But I know not all kids like cardamon, so if your kids don’t, add some cinnamon as an option.
I can’t believe that in less than two weeks we are back to school. I figured it would be a great time to share this recipe with you guys. You can make these special waffles for your kidos on their first day of school to celebrate the beginning of a new year. I know mine will be excited to smell the sweet aroma of the chocolate and cardamon as they wake up.
I hope you give these a try and let me know what you think.
CHOCOLATE-CARDAMOM BANANA WAFFLES
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 roughly smashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 tsp crushed green cardamom (my favorite is from Reluctant Trading)
- Greek yogurt for topping (optional)
- Berries for topping (optional)
- Maple syrup or honey for topping (optional)
- Powdered sugar for dusting at the end
- Whisk all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs, milk, vanilla and whisk together. Mash in the two bananas, keep them chunky and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Preheat your waffle iron. (Grease waffle iron before each use)
- Pour approximately 1/2 cup batter onto the hot waffle iron, and cook for 3-3:30 minutes, or to your liking.
- Serve hot and fresh with berries, honey, maple syrup or greek yogurt. Sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar and enjoy!
Enjoy and Bon Appetité!