Trader Joe’s Buffalo Chicken Dip is the ultimate crowd-pleasing appetizer, and this homemade version is brimming with creamy, spicy, and savory flavors! It showcases a perfect blend of tender rotisserie chicken, rich cream cheese, and zesty buffalo sauce. Serve it with tortilla chips, veggies, or even as a spread for sandwiches.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Effortless to prepare: Ready in just 25 minutes, this Trader Joe’s buffalo chicken dip is perfect for last-minute gatherings.
- Crowd favorite: It’s always a hit! Everyone will be asking you for the recipe.
- Customizable: The spice level is easily adjusted to suit your preferred taste.
- Perfect for any occasion: Whether it’s game day, a family gathering, or a casual get-together, this dip fits right in with any event. It’s a go-to recipe for any host!
Copycat buffalo chicken dip
No one loves Trader Joe’s more than I do, and their buffalo chicken dip is the BEST! So, I decided to make my own Trader Joe’s buffalo chicken dip at home, and it’s everything I hoped it would be.
It boasts an unbelievably creamy texture, perfectly complemented by the tanginess of the buffalo sauce and the hearty texture of shredded chicken. The best part is how quick and easy it is to make!
Using a rotisserie chicken means you just need to combine the ingredients and pop the dish in the oven until golden and bubbly. This dip is always the first to go off any snack table!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Cream cheese: Gives the dip a creamy texture and slightly tangy flavor. You can substitute it with Greek yogurt for a lighter version.
- Sour cream: Balances the cream cheese, adding a lighter, more whipped consistency. I recommend opting for regular sour cream, but you can use a low-fat version.
- Mayonnaise: Adds a rich flavor and texture. For the most comforting flavor, choose regular mayo. For a healthier twist, try avocado mayo or olive oil mayo.
- Ranch seasoning: Adds a burst of herbaceous, savory notes. You can use store-bought for more convenience or a homemade blend to control the ingredients.
- Rotisserie chicken: Using a rotisserie chicken makes this dip both convenient and flavorful. If you prefer, you can roast chicken breasts yourself for a healthier option.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic adds savory depth. Garlic powder can be used in a pinch. Just use a quarter teaspoon for every clove.
- Buffalo sauce: Use your favorite brand, like Frank’s Red Hot or Sweet Baby Ray’s, and adjust the amount according to your spice level tolerance.
- Monterey Jack cheese: I use Monterey Jack since it’s what Trader Joe’s adds to their dip, but cheddar or mozzarella are great substitutes.
How to make buffalo chicken dip
- Mix the base ingredients: In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch seasoning, and minced garlic until smooth.
- Fold in the rest: Fold in the buffalo sauce, shredded cheese, and chicken until everything is well combined.
- Bake: Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe dish and bake it at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes until warm and melty. Serve this copycat Trader Joe’s buffalo dip immediately for the best texture and flavor.
When it comes to dipping options for this Trader Joe’s buffalo chicken dip, the possibilities are endless. Here are some creative to serve it:
- Vegetable options: Think carrot sticks, celery stalks, cucumber slices, and radishes.
- Bread & chip options: Try baguette slices, pita chips, crostini, or tortilla chips.
- Creative pairings: Stuff it into jalapenos, use it as a sandwich spread, add it to lettuce wraps, or dollop some on top of baked potatoes.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! You can prepare this dip up to a day in advance. Just assemble all the ingredients in the baking dish, cover, and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, bake it in the oven until it’s hot and bubbly.
Yes, creating a dairy-free version of this dip is easy! You can substitute the cream cheese, sour cream, and Monterey Jack cheese with store-bought vegan alternatives. Many grocery stores now carry a range of dairy-free cream cheese and shredded cheese options that melt and taste similar to dairy-based cheeses.
Definitely! To adjust the spice level to your liking, reduce the amount of buffalo sauce or use a mild version like Frank’s Red Hot Mild Wings Sauce.
Storage & reheating
For any leftover buffalo chicken dip, follow my simple storage and reheating tips below:
- Fridge: Once completely cooled, store the dip in an airtight container or cover the dish with a lid. It will last for up to 3 days this way.
- Freezer: You can freeze the dip for up to 1 month, then thaw it overnight in the fridge.
- Reheating: Once thawed, warm your Trader Joe’s buffalo chicken dip in the oven at 350 degrees F or microwave until heated through.
- Spicy jalapeno: Add chopped jalapenos for an extra kick.
- Blue cheese: Mix in blue cheese crumbles for a more pungent flavor.
- BBQ style: Use BBQ sauce instead of buffalo sauce.
- Bacon: Mix in cooked, crumbled bacon for a smoky twist.
- Cheesy: Top the dip with extra cheese and broil for a cheesy crust.
- Even mixing: Ensure all ingredients are well combined for a smooth texture.
- Adjust spice: Tailor the spice level to your preference.
- Bake until bubbly: Bake until the dip is hot and bubbly for the best texture.
- Watch the oven: Keep an eye on the oven to prevent over-browning.
- Serve warm: Always serve this dip warm for the best flavor.
Looking for more dip recipes?
If you enjoyed this Trader Joe’s buffalo chicken dip recipe, check out some more of my favorite dips:
If you try this Trader Joe’s Buffalo Chicken Dip, let me know what you think! Rate and review this recipe in the comments below. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog!
Trader Joes Buffalo Chicken Dip (Copycat)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a bowl mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch seasoning, garlic clove, mix well to combine.
- Then add the buffalo sauce, shredded cheese and shredded chicken, fold the ingredients until fully combined.
- Spoon into an oven safe dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chives. Serve with your favorite chips or veggies.