Looking for a wicked mocktail to serve your friends at your next Halloween bash? Search no more. I’ve got you covered! My delicious twist on a fruit punch is this DARK MAGIC PUNCH.
This DARK MAGIC PUNCH is a mixture of black cherry juice, basil, blackberries and blood orange. This mocktail recipe is sure to ruffle your guests’ feathers. This deliciously dark spin on the classic punch will fit right in at your ghoulish gala this Halloween!
Punch has always been something that I find to be incredibly sweet and nostalgic. Even though I rarely do the whole punch bowl and ladle thing, I often serve them in big pitchers or decorative drink canisters for parties and even small casual gatherings. I love how pretty they tend to be and also how easy it makes things for me! (It’s very serve-yourself friendly, right?!)
Personally, I don’t celebrate Halloween that much, because I wasn’t raised with it in Ukraine. But since I had my kids 10 years ago (ohh my gosh, 10 years already), I love seeing them all dressed up to go trick-o-treating. Usually after that we come home to enjoy some snacks and a fun drink while they count and sort all of their candy and treats. This makes me want to have something special for us to enjoy when we get back to the house.
For adults I like to add in some boozy goodness, this way, I can make one batch and spike ours and kids get to enjoy their fancy mocktail too.
Also, I prefer using fruit or herbs to decorate my cocktails since this way you can see what is in the drink before you sip on it. Having fun cocktail glasses helps make these mocktails look fancy too. I like to collect them from different places.
My kids love the Simple Truth Black Cherry juice from Fred Meyer so much that I have it in stock all the time. It was my base idea when creating this drink. The idea of using 4 different “B” ingredients to create a dark and magical punch was my fun take on a typical overly sugared punch. This one is not overly sweet since you add in the tart blackberries and blood oranges. Combining some basil to add an interesting depth was a fun take on this drink.
I hope your little goblins slurp this up and you get a taste of a refreshing boozy cocktail.
DARK MAGIC PUNCH
- 32 oz Black Cherry Juice
- 6 oz blackberries
- 2 blood oranges sliced into thin rings (reserve a few 1/4 inch wedges for glasses)
- 18 leaves basil reserve 8 for garnish
- 4 oz sparkling water
- 8 oz Gin or vodka, optional
- In a large cup or shaker, mash 1/2 container of blackberries (just enough to get the juice) and mix with basil leaves. Add into a pitcher or another type of serving container. Repeat until all berries and mashed.
- Add in the sliced blood oranges and 16 oz black cherry juice, then stir. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to combine flavors.
- Pour into wine goblet or your choice of glasses or cups. Add half of mixture, then ice and top off with sparkling water.
- Garnish with 1 basil sprig per glass along with blood orange quarters or extra blackberries or all of them.
- If adding alcohol, I would suggest doing 1/2 juice, 1 shot of your favorite alcohol (vodka or gin are my favorite and even champagne works too), then top it off with sparkling water.
- Sip and enjoy.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give these DARK MAGIC PUNCH a try? Let me know what you think. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!
Thank you for supporting the brands that I enjoy working with. This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fred Meyer. The opinions and text are all mine.