Stick to this Easy Ravioli Lasagna Recipe to avoid the effort of classic lasagna. It’s a quick and foolproof dinner with cheesy ravioli and delectable ground beef in every bite. Lazy-dinner approved!Jump to Recipe
Lazy lasagna with ravioli
This Easy Ravioli Lasagna Recipe uses ravioli in place of lasagna noodles. Layered with an easy beef and marinara sauce, ricotta cheese, and shredded mozzarella, the rich and comforting flavors are to-die-for.
Why is a ravioli lasagna easier than a classic lasagna? There are 3 reasons:
- You skip the time it takes to cook the lasagna noodles ahead of time. The ravioli, whether it’s fresh or frozen, doesn’t need to be cooked. Just layer, then bake!
- It’s kept simple with only three layers: meat sauce, stuffed ravioli, and cheese.
- It skips the homemade sauce and simmers storebought marinara and ground beef together instead.
Watch How To Make Easy Ravioli Lasagna Recipe
All of the shortcuts in this family-friendly dinner help get it on the table in less than 1 hour. You can even assemble it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge or freezer for later. It’s the perfect lazy meal for busy weeknights or when you don’t feel like cooking!
Ingredients and substitutions
You’ll find beefy, cheesy, and Italian-inspired flavors in this ravioli lasagna casserole, all thanks to a simple list of ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Ground beef – Use lean 80/20 beef to prevent the lasagna from being overly lasagna. If you don’t want to make it with beef, Italian sausage is the best substitute and will even give the lasagna a spicy bite.
- Kosher salt
- Marinara sauce – Bottled, storebought pasta sauce is going to make this lasagna 10 times easier. Otherwise, my homemade vodka sauce would be an ultra-flavorful option.
- Ricotta cheese – Use whole milk ricotta, not skim. It’s much creamier and rich in flavor giving the lasagna a more delectable mouthfeel.
- Parmesan cheese
- Basil – Fresh basil leaves are best here.
- Cheese-stuffed ravioli – You can use fresh (refrigerated) ravioli or keep things easy and use frozen instead. Feel free to use a different kind of stuffed ravioli instead of cheese.
- Mozzarella cheese – For irresistible cheesy pulls with every scoop of lasagna.
How to make easy ravioli lasagna
Start with the meat sauce. Saute the onion in a hot skillet with oil until soft, then add the beef. Cook until it’s browned all over. Pour the marinara sauce into the skillet and reduce the heat. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes.
While you wait, stir the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, and salt together in a small bowl.
The ravioli lasagna has three layers total and is assembled in this order:
- Meat sauce
- Ricotta mixture
- Shredded cheese
Repeat until you end up with three layers and shredded cheese on top of the finished lasagna.
Cover the dish loosely in foil and bake until the cheese is melted and gooey. Afterward, bake uncovered for 2 or 3 minutes to brown the cheese.
Let the lasagna rest out of the oven for 10 minutes. Slice and top with more fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Vegetarian lasagna – Make this easy ravioli lasagna recipe with just the marinara sauce if you don’t want to use the meat.
- Add greens and vegetables – There’s plenty of room for veggies here. Stir chopped spinach into the ricotta mixture, add sauteed mushrooms to the sauce, or layer shaved and sauteed zucchini and carrots on top of the ravioli layer.
- Switch the sauce – My homemade bolognese sauce is extra hearty and meaty. Use it instead of the marinara.
Frequently asked questions
Nope! Once layered, the frozen ravioli will cook as the lasagna bakes in the oven.
No, it can be added to the lasagna when it’s still frozen.
This is a comfort food, after all, so keep the sides on theme. Ravioli lasagna pairs best with freshly baked focaccia bread and a Caesar salad on the side.
Yes. The entire casserole can be assembled and kept in the fridge for hours or days before you’re ready to cook.
Storing and freezing
Store: Cover the assembled, unbaked lasagna and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Bake as directed.
Freeze: You can also prepare the casserole, cover, and freeze it for up to 6 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as directed the next day.
Looking for more lazy dinner recipes?
If you don’t feel like cooking or are simply feeling lazy, turn to these quick, lazy-dinner-approved recipes:
- Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie
- Salmon en Papillote with Potatoes
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges with Basil Aioli
- Creamy Garlic Butter Steak Bites with Mushrooms
Did you try this Easy Ravioli Lasagna Recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and giving this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to take a picture tag me on Instagram or use #lenaskitchenblog to be featured in my stories! I love seeing what you come up with!
Easy Ravioli Lasagna Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef 80/20
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 28 oz marinara sauce
- 16 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup basil finely chopped (plus extra for serving)
- 20 oz cheese ravioli refrigerated or frozen
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in the ground beef and break it apart and brown. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt, then the garlic and brown for 5 minutes more until the ground beef is completely cooked through and browned.
- Pour in the marinara sauce and 1 teaspoon of salt and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, basil and ½ teaspoon of salt. Mix to combine.
- Start building the lasagna in a casserole dish by adding a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of the pan, this will prevent the ravioli from sticking. Add the first layer of ravioli without overlapping on top of the sauce. Then, evenly spread a third of the ricotta mixture on top of the ravioli. Sprinkle with a third of the shredded cheese on top of the ricotta layer. Next, add more of the meat sauce on top. Top with a second layer of ravioli, another layer of ricotta cheese, then shredded cheese. Repeat with a third layer.
- Loosely cover with foil, being careful to not have it touch the cheese, and bake covered for 35-40 minutes.
- Uncover the ravioli lasagna, turn the broiler on high and broil the top of the lasagna until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with chopped fresh basil and enjoy!
Leave a Reply