Tender and cheesy Keto Baked Asparagus with Parmesan is the perfect side dish. It takes minutes to prepare and the pantry staple ingredients keep things simple while still providing big flavors.Jump to Recipe
Your favorite keto and low-carb meals won’t feel lonely now that they can be paired with this easy and delicious Keto Baked Asparagus with Parmesan. The vibrant green asparagus takes minutes to bake and while the simple seasonings give each bite big flavors. Plus, with cheese on top, it’ll be a miracle if you end up with leftovers!
What keeps this asparagus side dish keto-friendly is the simple list of seasonings. All it needs is garlic, oil, lemon juice, and a little salt. The flavors are bright, savory, and so satisfying.
Cheesy asparagus can be enjoyed year-round for dinners, backyard cookouts, or with a seafood extravaganza. It goes perfectly on the side of Lemon Butter Scallops, Baked Crusted Salmon, and even with Soft Scrambled Eggs for breakfast.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Asparagus – The best asparagus is firm, straight, and bright green. The tips should be firm and not loose or starting to sprout.
- Parmesan cheese – A sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan on top of the asparagus will melt in the oven, giving each bite a bit of creaminess. Try to use fresh parmesan for the best flavors.
- Garlic – Because it isn’t a savory dish without garlic.
- Olive oil – This will help soften and tenderize the asparagus and provide healthy fats.
- Lemon juice – For brightness and acidity that will help bring balance.
- Salt – To round out all of the flavors.
How to make parmesan asparagus in the oven
- Prepare the asparagus: Once the woody bottoms are trimmed from the asparagus, spread them out on a baking sheet. Drizzle on the oil before using your hands to rub the garlic and salt all over the asparagus. Finish with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Roast the asparagus in the oven: Bake the asparagus for about 10 minutes or until the asparagus is slightly tender and the cheese has melted.
- Plate and serve: When they’re finished baking, place the asparagus on a serving platter and add more cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!
Air fryer instructions
Prepare and season the asparagus as normal. Lay them in an even layer in the air fryer basket (work in batches if you need to) and grate the parmesan on top. Set the air fryer to 400ºF and cook for around 7 minutes.
At what temperature do you bake asparagus?
Roasting asparagus in a 425ºF oven for 7 to 10 minutes will give you the best results. The cook time will depend on the thickness and age of the asparagus, so make sure to watch it carefully as it bakes. Once it hits the 7 minute mark, pierce it with a fork to see if it needs additional time.
Tips and substitutions
- To trim asparagus, remove the bottom inch to 1 ½ inches. The bottom is very woody, tough, and not fun to eat.
- To tell when the asparagus is cooked through, pierce it with a fork. It should be fork tender but still have a slight crunch. You don’t want it too soft or mushy.
- Top with any garnish you like, such as sliced almonds, fresh cracked pepper, lemon slices, or parsley.
- If you don’t have parmesan cheese, use mozzarella, cheddar, swiss, or provolone instead. You can also make this recipe vegan by using dairy-free cheese.
- For an added crunch, combine the cheese with panko breadcrumbs or pork rinds to keep the recipe low-carb.
- To store uncooked asparagus, trim the ends and place the bunch upright in a tall glass or jar filled with an inch of water. This will keep it fresh, crisp, and green. Make sure to change the water every other day or so.
Can it be made ahead of time?
To make this recipe ahead of time, toss the asparagus in the oil and seasonings before placing it in an airtight container. The seasoned asparagus should stay fresh in the fridge for 1 or 2 days. Add the cheese on top right before it’s time to bake.
How to store and reheat baked asparagus
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To maintain its texture, reheat the asparagus in a 400ºF oven for around 4 minutes. You can also reheat it in the microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed through. Just know that it may turn out mushier this way.
What goes well with keto baked asparagus?
Almost everything! Serve this cheesy asparagus on the side of these keto-friendly recipes:
Did you try this Keto Baked Asparagus with Parmesan? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and giving this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to take a picture tag me on Instagram or use #lenaskitchenblog to be featured in my stories! I love seeing what you come up with!
Keto Baked Asparagus with Parmesan
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ tsp sea salt, more to taste if needed
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 425℉ and then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim the bottom of the asparagus (1-2 inches) and then spread it out across the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and crushed garlic. Use your hands to rub the oil, salt, and garlic over the spears to ensure they are well coated. Sprinkle with half of the shredded parmesan cheese.
- Roast in the oven for 7-10 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the thickness of your spears. The asparagus is ready when the tips have crisped and the cheese is nice and melty.
- Remove from oven, add to a serving platter, add the remaining cheese, and squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top.