This Creamy Grilled Smashed Potato Salad is crispy on the outside and creamy inside. Topped with a tangy and herby creamy sauce.Jump to Recipe
PIN IT NOW! CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS CREAMY GRILLED SMASHED POTATO SALAD TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD.
With 4th of July right around the corner. I’m always thinking of a fun way to spice up my sides to serve with our BBQ spread. What better way to do that than add some fun textures and flavors to your ordinary potato salad.
This post is sponsored by The Home Depot, who I’m absolutely thrilled to partner with to celebrate 4th of July this year! All thoughts & opinions are my own.
My Creamy Grilled Smashed Potato Salad is a modern take on the classic potato salad. Instead of adding mayo, I use a healthier option of greek yogurt, garlic, herbs, smokey paprika and lemon juice and zest to create a delicious sauce. Grilling the potatoes after boiling and smashing them adds a great texture to the salad.
Whether you spend a lot of time in front of the grill or in the comfort of your air conditioned kitchen over the next few months, cooking should be easy this summer. Fresh produce needs little to shine, and when the beach, pool or campsite is calling, you don’t want to spend hours laboring over dinner.
The Home Depot is offering tons of Grill Savings, and you get free Assembly on grills $399+ free assembly for grills purchased in store, and free delivery for grills purchased online until 7/30/2019.
Some of my favorite features of my new Nextgrill grill that makes it a fantastic grill:
- Even-Heat system ensures consistent, even cooking
- Quick-start electronic ignition system
- 12,000 BTU side burner for versatility – great for boiling or cooking something on the burner while the grill is going
- 4 stainless steel main burners
- Stainless steel-wrapped main cooking grates provide an easy-to-clean surface and uniform heat
- No-stick, no-burn, always-slick surface wipes down with a simple cloth
- Equipped with removable catch tray for easy upkeep
Find the top brands and products for all tastes, skill levels and budgets at The Home Depot. This makes it easy for you to FIND THE GRILL FOR YOU.
One of my favorite features on the Nextgrill is the side burner. Love that I was able to boil the potatoes outside without needing to turn on my inside stove. Then use the grill to perfectly grill the potatoes without sticking to the grates. Plus it’s so easy to wipe down and clean after it cooled.
Our grills will be doing a lot of the cooking for us this week, so why not add an extra ingredient to grill and create this stunning salad.
If you’re not into the typical potato salads, this one’s for you.
A healthier deconstructed potato salad that isn’t completely smothered in a sauce/dressing (although you could totally toss it all together), rather it’s drizzled with a punchy, creamy garlicky sauce. Sprinkled with sharp but sweet pickled shallots. It is by far my new favorite potato salad yet! The potatoes are perfectly crunchy on the outside, and velvety on the inside.
Tips for creating the best potato salad:
It’s all about the small details! Follow these tips when making my creamy grilled smashed potato salad recipe for a winner every time!
- Go for a waxy potato variety. I prefer this mix of these baby Yukon Golds, red and purple potatoes (for a mix of colors).
- Wash your potatoes well before you boil them.
- Boil the potatoes for ten minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Smash the potatoes using the bottom of a glass while still warm.
- Don’t skimp on the herbs! Finely chopped fresh herbs play beautifully against the creaminess of this salad.
Before you start the salad, first thing you should do is pickle the shallots, so they have time to quick pickle. I used my famous LENASKITCHEN PICKLED ONIONS recipe to pickle the shallots. They have a milder flavor which works great in this salad.
What To Serve with this Creamy Grilled Smashed Potato Salad?
Here are 10 of my favorite mains and other sides that find a happy home next to this creamy grilled smashed potato salad recipe:
- RIB EYE STEAK COOKED IN THE OVEN
- 10 MINUTE APPLE CABBAGE SLAW
- FINGER LICKING GOOD INSTANT POT RIBS
- RAW BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD WITH PARMESAN
- EXTRA CRISPY AIR FRYER WINGS
- CRUNCHY KALE SALAD
- GRILLED ASIAN SALMON WITH MUSTARD DRESSING
- MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD
- SALMON, TOMATO SKEWERS WITH CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- CAPRESE SALAD BURGER ON PRETZEL BUN
Whatever centerpiece you’re serving, be it grilled fish, sausages, burgers, ribs, steaks or barbecue chicken, the sides should be as easy to assemble as they are delicious. Can’t wait to have you try this yummy recipe.
If you do make this Creamy Grilled Smashed Potato Salad recipe, be sure to leave me a comment &/or give this recipe a rating when you do!
And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! above all, i love hearing from you & looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite thing.
Thank you so much for reading & supporting Lena’s Kitchen & the companies I partner with to keep bringing you great original content. I only feature brands & products I truly love & use on the regular in my own home. all opinions are always my own!
CREAMY GRILLED SMASHED POTATO SALAD
- serving platter
- baking tray
POTATO SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 2 lbs mixed baby potatoes or baby yukon gold potatoes washed
- water for boiling potatoes enough to cover potatoes
- sea salt for salting water to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- olive oil or avocado oil spray for grilling
LEMON-HERB YOGURT SAUCE
- ¾ cups Greek yogurt or sour cream or use dairy free yogurt to make it dairy free
- 1 large garlic clove grated or chopped finely
- 1 medium lemon zested
- 1 medium lemon juice juiced
- ½ tbsp basil finely chopped
- ½ tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 2 ½ tbsp chives (divided, reserve 1 tbsp for garnish) finely chopped
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 large shallot or 2 smaller peeled, cut in half and finely sliced
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- Peel the shallots, cut in half and slice really thinly into half circles. Separate with fingers and pickle on the counter with the pickling juices while salad is prepping. These should pickle quickly if cut really thinly.
- Wash the potatoes, add to a pot, cover with water with an inch above the potatoes, add a generous pinch of sea salt. Taste and adjust salt to taste. Add in the bay leaves and cook for about 10 minutes after they start boiling or check for fork tenderness. (once a fork can go through the potatoes they are done). Strain and place on a baking dish.
- Once cooled a bit, use the bottom of a glass and smash the potatoes, but make sure they are still intact. Spray with olive oil spray to coat both sides well.
- Grill potatoes on the grill until grill marks appear on Medium High heat, make sure to flip after about 3-5 minutes and grill the other side.
LEMON-HERB YOGURT SAUCE
- While potatoes are cooking, combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and let it sit to marinate together. Reserve 1 tbsp of chopped chives for garnish.
Happy Cooking friends, xoxo LENA20