This healthy 10 Minute Apple Cabbage Slaw recipe tastes amazing and takes no time to make! It’s made with a simple vinegar and oil dressing and features my favorite apple, honey crisp. It’s gluten free, Whole30 approved and vegan, which means it’s a perfect potluck dish. to bring to your next BBQ.
With Memorial Day parties and BBQ weekend here, if you still need a perfect salad to bring with you to the party, try this salad. You can prep it ahead of time and when you are ready to serve, just toss the dressing in and you’re golden. You will have plenty of time to mingle and sip on your favorite drink.
Let’s talk about this slaw. It’s proof that sometimes, the most humble of ingredients can make for the best recipes. Take cheap cabbage, with all of its potent antioxidants, add a tang of white vinegar, fresh crunch of the honey crisp apple, dill and green onions to add a pop of color and mixed well together. Bam, you’re done. As easy as that.
I love this salad on it’s own. It reminds me summer and my mom. The way she used to make it growing up for us was a bit different and I love her version. I’ve always enjoyed the simplicity of it. She makes hers by adding cucumbers instead of apples and lots of dill. Sunflower oil is what she uses to dress the salad, but I was out and tried it with regular olive oil and it turned out delicious. My mom would make this as our staple salad with dinner and I would inhale a big bowl of it on it’s own or with a side of any protein she made.
When I started making it myself after I moved out of the house for college, it would just bring a smile to my face thinking of my mom. She is such a good cook and I learned so much from her growing up. I wasn’t always fond of cooking, but once I moved out, my interest for cooking peaked so much that I would call her and we would talk for hours about recipes and how to make this and that. This salad, I knew by heart.
HERE ARE A FEW OF MY RECIPES TO TRY WITH MY 10 MINUTE APPLE CABBAGE SLAW :
Here’s to summer grilling, picnics, family, friends and happy memories. Cheers friends!
10 MINUTE APPLE CABBAGE SLAW
- 1/2 large head of white cabbage, shaved finely
- 1/2 honey crisp apple, or your favorite apple
- 3 stems green onion, green part chopped finely
- 3 tbsp dill, finely chooped
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil or sunflower-seed oil
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- Mix dressing at the bottom of the bowl. Then add in the salad ingredients.
- Finely shave cabbage. Cut apple into matchsticks or smaller chunks. Chop dill and green onions.
- Toss well together when ready to eat. You can make it ahead of time and have the dressing at the bottom of the bowl. When you are ready to serve it, toss the salad well and enjoy. Makes for a great salad to take in a jar too.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give my 10 MINUTE APPLE CABBAGE SLAW a try? Let me know what you think, rate this recipe in comments below, share it on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture, tag it with #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram or tag me on my Facebook page! I love seeing what you come up with! Happy cooking.