This Delicata Squash Salad with Persimmons is sweet, tart, creamy, crunchy and zesty. The perfect mix for a holiday salad to serve for any occasion.Jump to Recipe
PIN IT NOW! CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS DELICATA SQUASH SALAD WITH PERSIMMONS TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD.
Are you hosting Thanksgiving this year or going somewhere? This year we are going to our friend’s house to celebrate because I needed a break from hosting. With birthdays almost back to back with our immediate family, mama needs a chill pill. But I am still cooking up great dishes like this delicata squash salad with persimmons and stay tuned for the yummies side of roasted cauliflower.
With Thanksgiving right around the corner this week, I wanted to share one of my new favorite fall/winter salads using fall flavors to create layers of colors and textures. Great flavors combined into one salad.
If you haven’t roasted a delicata squash yet, you need to get on the bandwagon ASAP. It has really delicate skin that roasts beautifully. So no need to peel it. Just cut, scrape out the seeds and roast in some olive oil and salt. That’s it.
Is the skin of delicata squash edible?
Since delicata squash is thinner-skinned than other winter squashes, they don’t keep quite long. … To prepare, slice the squash in half and scoop out the seeds, then proceed with the recipe. The peel is edible, so you can feel free to leave it on.
What does delicata squash taste like?
Also known as “sweet potato squash” for its brown sugar flavor, delicata tastes like a cross between fresh corn and pumpkin pie. Like all hard squash, delicata is high in beta-carotene and vitamin C, relatively low in calories and astonishingly versatile.
Signed up to bring a salad for the holidays? You will impress everyone with this delicata squash salad with persimmons for sure. It’s full of color and has a great balance of flavors.
Try These Other Salads
- RAW BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD WITH PARMESAN
- CRUNCHY KALE SALAD
- RADICCHIO SALAD WITH CREAMY RANCH
- BEETS SALAD WITH CITRUS TARRAGON DRESSING
- AVOCADO ROSE TUTORIAL WITH RADICCHIO SALAD
The possibilities are endless with this roasted squash salad. I first discovered this salad when I flipped through my friend Ashley’s cookbook called “Let’s Stay In” and made it last year. It’s been a favorite fall/winter salad ever since.
If you have tried my famous LENASKITCHEN PICKLED ONIONS you know how good they are on EVERYTHING. I made a new batch of pickled things. This time around I used shallots and used a different vinegar to create a slightly different flavor profile, that I think works best with this salad.
DELICATA SQUASH SALAD WITH PERSIMMONS
- 2 large delicata squash halved, deseeded and cut into 1/4 in slices
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 large avocados sliced into wedges
- 1 persimmon sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pecans toasted
- 1/2 cup quick pickled shallots
- 1 lime zested
- 1 lime juiced
- flaky salt to finish
QUICK PICKLED SHALLOTS
- 4-5 large shallots thinly sliced
- 2 cup hot water
- 1.5 tbsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup orange muscat champagne vinegar or use champagne vinegar from Trader Joes
QUICK PICKLED SHALLOTS
- To pickle shallots, clean, slice shallots into thin slices. Rinse shallots in water and squeeze to let the onion flavor release. Add to jar and top with hot water, salt and vinegar. Let sit on the counter while squash roasts. Best done 4 hours ahead and will last about two weeks in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss squash in olive oil and salt. Arrange on baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes. Flip half way.
- Layer cooled squash in a platter with sliced avocado, sliced persimmon, pomegranate seeds, mint, nuts and pickled shallots. Zest half lime and juice lime to dress. Sprinkle flaky salt to finish off. Repeat layer two. Enjoy!