These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Honey Soy Glaze are packed with so much flavor! They’re dressed in a sweet and savory Asian-inspired glaze and are easy to make in the air fryer, oven, or on the grill.Jump to Recipe
Crispy and juicy air fryer chicken thighs with honey soy glaze
The air fryer is quickly becoming my new favorite kitchen tool. I’m constantly using it to whip up crispy, fun snacks, like these Asian Pork Meatballs and Yogurt Custard Toast, or quick and tasty dinners like my Air Fryer Chicken Banh Mi. Not only do air fryer recipes cook quickly, but they always turn out super crispy and flavorful without needing a ton of oil.
It’s why I used it to make these Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Honey Soy Glaze! The chicken always turns out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, plus the honey soy glaze and marinade packs in the flavor. What more could you want in an easy air fryer dinner recipe?
Even if you don’t own an air fryer, you can still make this recipe in the oven or on the grill at summer barbecues. You’ll never miss out on the sweet and savory flavors, no matter what cooking method you use!
- Chicken thighs – Boneless skinless chicken thighs cook quickly in the air fryer and become so juicy and crispy. Go ahead and use boneless chicken breasts instead if that’s what you have at home, but just know that they’ll need less time to cook. The meat is marinated and dressed in a flavor-packed Asian-inspired glaze, which soaks into the meat and becomes caramelized and sticky under the heat.
- Asian marinade – The base of this sweet and savory Asian-inspired glaze is soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and honey. From there, it’s mixed with sesame oil, garlic, hot sauce (gochujang paste or Sriracha are best), ginger, and salt. To make the chicken marinade gluten free, replace the soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos.
- Garnish – Finish this tasty dinner off with sesame seeds and scallions on top!
How to make chicken thighs in the air fryer
- Marinate the chicken thighs: Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and place the chicken inside. Cover with a lid or plastic and leave it to marinate.
- Cook the chicken in the air fryer: Place the chicken thighs in the air fryer basket and cook.
- Heat up the glaze: Pour the reserved marinade in a pot and heat over medium-low heat until it thickens slightly.
- Brush on the glaze and serve: Plate the cooked chicken and pour the glaze over top. Sprinkle green onions and sesame seeds on top, then enjoy!
If you don’t own an air fryer, this recipe can easily be made in the oven instead:
- Marinate the chicken as normal, then place the meat in a baking dish. Pour some of the marinade over top.
- Bake the chicken in a 425ºF oven for 30 minutes (flipping halfway).
- Heat the reserved marinade on the stove as normal.
- Serve the baked chicken thighs with the Asian glaze on top, then enjoy.
These chicken thighs would be perfect for the summer barbecue! Here’s how to cook them on the grill:
- Lightly grease the grill grates with oil and heat over medium-low heat.
- Heat the reserved marinade on the stove or grill as normal.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 25 minutes (flipping halfway). You can brush the thickened glaze over the thighs as they grill if you want or pour it on top once they’re fully cooked.
- Serve the grilled chicken thighs and enjoy.
Keep this dish simple with a side of cheesy ranch potatoes, kale caesar salad, and roasted cauliflower on the side. To continue with the sweet and savory Asian-inspired flavors, serve the chicken with cucumber salad, sauteed bok choy, cabbage salad, or shishito peppers.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! Either leave the chicken in the marinade a few hours ahead of time or cook the chicken and leave it in the fridge until later.
The chicken thighs will cook for 14-15 minutes in the air fryer. If you can’t tell if they’re done, use an instant read thermometer to make sure they’ve reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
A temperature of 400ºF is best because it will help crisp the outside of the chicken while keeping the meat juicy.
This recipe will still work even if you don’t have time to wait for the chicken to marinate. Quickly toss the chicken in some of the marinade while you wait for the air fryer to pre-heat, then cook as normal and add the remaining glaze on top.
The chicken thighs can be left in the marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. If you aren’t planning on air frying the chicken right away, place a lid on top of the bowl or container with the chicken and marinade and keep it in the fridge.
How to store baked chicken thighs
- Store: Keep the cooked chicken thighs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Leftover chicken thighs can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Place the leftover chicken back in the air fryer and reheat at 350ºF for 7 to 10 minutes.
More easy chicken recipes
- Air Fryer Peruvian-Style Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
- Easy Keto Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Low Carb Caprese Chicken Bake
If you give these Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Honey Soy Glaze a try, let me know in the comments below. I love seeing your pictures too, so please tag me on Instagram @lenaskitchenblog and use #lenaskitchenblog so I can share them to my page!
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Honey Soy Glaze
- ½ cup soy sauce low sodium preffered
- 2 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic grated
- 1 teaspoon gochujang hot pepper paste or use Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs fat trimmed
- 2 scallions sliced for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F.
- Using a fork, poke the chicken all over to help the marinade get in.
- In a small bowl, add all the marinade ingredients and whisk together to combine. Reserve ¼ cup of marinade.
- Add the marinade to the chicken; mix around to combine well, cover and marinate for 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours. Refrigerate if not planning to cook the chicken within 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and transfer 4 chicken thighs to the air fryer; you’ll have to cook in 2 batches.
- Cook for 8 minutes; flip the chicken over and continue to cook for 6 more minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Continue with the rest of the chicken.
- While the chicken cooks, place the reserved sauce in a small pot and cook over medium-low heat until it reduces slightly and thickens, about 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- When ready to serve the chicken, add your favorite sides along with the chicken, drizzle with the thickened sauce, sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.