Juicy marinated chicken overtop crisp vegetables make up this tasty and filling Greek Grilled Chicken Souvlaki Salad. Serve it as a fresh and vibrant main dish on warm summer evenings or for a healthy lunch option.Jump to Recipe
This meal was made for summer! Delicious, fresh, and tangy, this Greek Grilled Chicken Souvlaki Salad has everything you could want in a light summer dish. Juicy marinated chicken thighs and homemade Tzatziki sauce are layered on top of a Greek salad to create this easy and delicious dinner option.
I love the fire up the grill when I’m adding vibrant and smoky proteins to summer salads. Whether it’s steak, shrimp, or chicken, the flavor you get from the grill is unmatched! Thankfully, if you don’t have a barbecue, this chicken souvlaki can easily be cooked in the oven instead.
What is Greek chicken souvlaki?
Souvlaki is a popular Greek street food made from small pieces of meat cooked on skewers. The meat is tangy, flavorful, and traditionally served with pita, salad, fries, and Tzatziki sauce. This recipe is made with marinated chicken thighs, but you can use almost any protein you love instead!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Chicken thighs – Boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into small pieces are grilled on skewers to make the chicken souvlaki.
- Chicken souvlaki marinade – This easy marinade is made from yogurt, oil, lemon, and some seasonings to infuse deep, creamy flavors into the chicken.
- Tzatziki – Making creamy and tangy Tzatziki sauce at home is so easy! All you need is some yogurt, cucumbers, and a handful of herbs and aromatics. Use the leftovers on these Greek Chicken Kabobs or a Shaved Zucchini Salad!
- Greek salad – This crisp salad acts as a bed for our chicken and dressing. Throw it together using greens, olives, and a few more vegetables to round out this light and delicious meal.
How to make Greek grilled chicken souvlaki salad
Made with juicy marinated chicken thighs, easy Tzatziki sauce, and a classic Greek salad, this filling and fresh meal would be an exceptional choice for dinners, barbecue parties, or even for weekday lunches. Here’s how to make it:
- Marinate the chicken: Place the pieces of chicken thighs in a bowl with the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt. Let them marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Grill the chicken: Place the marinated chicken on skewers and grill until cooked through.
- Make the tzatziki sauce: Meanwhile, make the sauce by mixing the yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, dill, salt, and garlic in a bowl. Let it chill in the fridge until serving.
- Assemble the salads: Assemble the salad greens and toppings in individual bowls. Add the grilled chicken and dressing on top, then enjoy!
How to make oven baked chicken souvlaki
To cook the chicken in the oven, place a rack near the top of the oven and heat the broiler. Place the skewers on a baking sheet and broil for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
What to serve with souvlaki
This souvlaki recipe is delicious on its own with a glass of white wine! If you’d like to include a few side dishes, I recommend serving cauliflower rice, warm pita bread, loaded hummus, french fries, and smashed potatoes.
If you’d rather serve this for lunch, bottle the Tzatziki and chicken salad separately. Either reheat the chicken for a few minutes in the microwave or enjoy it cold with some purple cauliflower mash on the side.
More flavorful summer salads
- Keto Thai Steak Salad
- Smoked Salmon Avocado Salad
- Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad
Did you try this Greek Grilled Chicken Souvlaki Salad? Let me know what you think in the comments below, or share a picture on Instagram! I love to share all of your recreations on my page.
Greek Grilled Chicken Souvlaki Salad
- ½ cup Greek yogurt use whole milk yogurt or sour cream
- 1 small cucumber grated and juices squeezed out
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or add more to taste
- 1 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tbsp dill or parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the grill to 450ºF.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1 1/2" pieces. Add the pieces to a bowl with the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt. Leave it to marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Skewer the chicken onto skewers. Cook on the grill for 4-5 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki sauce: mix together the yogurt, drained shredded cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, dill, salt, and garlic. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate until serving.
- In each bowl, add shredded romaine. Toss the cucumber and tomato with vinegar, salt and oil. Divide tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and onion between bowls. Add a dollop of tzatziki sauce and chicken skewers on top, then enjoy.